PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else exicited about Oculus Rift?

Cage
01-13-2013, 05:01 PM
The more demos I see, the more im drooling at the mouth for this thing. I really think this is the first true honestly step toward a practical VR set as we will get for a while. .

thoughts?

EXCellR8
01-13-2013, 09:53 PM
I think it's going to be awhile before it gets adopted by developers and even longer before it's actually worth buying. Isn't like Doom 3 or some shit the only game that supports it right now? :lol:

pretty hard to get exited about it at the moment but it is a cool idea. as far as VR goes itself I don't think there is going to be anything that's terrific for quite some time.

Cage
01-14-2013, 02:16 AM
I know development around the device is a ways off, but more so, the potential of this thing . . . i think they are really taking the right approach. And if they price this right, i do think devs will be on board with this thing

EXCellR8
01-14-2013, 07:02 PM
Hard to say, sadly most devs are just in it to make bank now it seems and want to complete projects more quickly. I can see a small group of dedicated seasoned game developers possibly making a valiant effort with this type of thing--but honestly I can't see it being "the next best thing ever" or even close. Like I said it's definitely a cool idea but in order for it to really succeed companies will need to make a profit from the extra hours of development and compatibility testing etc. And then as you brought up... unless it's reasonably priced you will see only a small fraction of consumers even bothering to give it a try. I know if I was seeing only a few fully compatible games/software or whatever and then a steep price I'd be all set.

I'd be interested in seeing where this thing is headed though, but I don't think VR (like a really well-done, enjoyable virtual reality with movement etc.) is something that is ever going to be a few hundred bucks...

Stealth
01-15-2013, 08:40 AM
I don't see it being that hard to add this to games as it's really just movement, similar to any other input device but now there is a few more controls like leaning foward and back. This will be amazing for FPS when you just want to peak your head around a corner or something.

I can't wait for this.

EXCellR8
01-15-2013, 06:08 PM
So that's what VR is then... "really just movement?" I hear ya. Well if that's the case this is ALL IT WILL EVER BE. Might as well call it "movement recognition" or something more fitting... or fuck it in that case it's not that much better than Kinect.

Cage
01-15-2013, 09:16 PM
the motion control is lacking, and it probably will be based on some for of Kinect like technology.

this thing basically just wraps the image your seeing 110degrees around you, when you lift your gun, you dont see your arm raise or anything like that. .

the last interview i read, they said the device was handed over to independent developers to incorporate tech for tracking movement.

Immersion + movement tracking is really what VR is going to be, I never expect it to be so well done that you can see light bending like the human eye can, but i really think this is the closest step to the best POSSIBLE attempt

veloceracing
01-19-2013, 05:44 PM
I want to try it for iRacing with a decent head tracking software like TrackIR.

Das Kapitalist
01-19-2013, 07:04 PM
I am excited to see where this goes. If someone ever figures out how to make your body move independently of your head in an intuitive way, it will totally change everything. At the moment, it's going to be strange with something like an FPS where you right click to scope / iron sight.