PDA

View Full Version : New BlackBerry....hmmm

civcmatt
02-01-2013, 12:00 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/30/blackberry-z10-official/

Honestly..im fairly impressed with the hardware put in it..dual core 1.5Ghz with 2GB of RAM. decent screen res. they say its not as quick as iPhone 5 or the newer Androids. I'd be interested in testing one...imma see if i can get my hands ahold of one. but def trying to keep up with the competition now, i dont think they will do it.........BUT what you guys think?

ISPKI
02-01-2013, 12:08 PM
My Fiance had a blackberry for YEARS, that thing never broke or had issues. She got a droid which broke, so she went back to her blackberry. Then she got an iphone, that broke, she went back to her blackberry, She got the Droid x2 which broke, went back to her blackberry. Now she has an iphone 4s that freakin shattered when she dropped it. The screen is OK but we had to tape the back of it and put a case on it to prevent the shattered glass from cutting her hand.

From our experience, blackberrys have been more stable and more reliable. She never had an issue with her's for the four years that she had it. Now, her little sister has it and it still works great. It will be interesting if these maintain the same quality and reliability over the other smartphones.

ISPKI
02-01-2013, 12:12 PM
I wonder why no phones have standard USB ports?

Double R
02-01-2013, 12:26 PM
Blackberry will never be relevant unless it creates a decent app market.

The excuse of "Well, it's a good business phone and it's secure" is no longer a great argument. Most new smart phones can do everything anyone needs in a "business phone". If the company has a decent policy on phone security, they are not very vulnerable to attack. Not over a Blackberry at least.

I'm seeing lots of Android devices infiltrating the Blackberry dominated GOV sector.

The question needs to be asked "Why should I get rid of my iphone, galaxy, droid, etc for a Blackberry phone?

I can't really think of a good reason.

EXCellR8
02-01-2013, 01:12 PM
As of right now there isn't a good reason unless you're already a customer that want's a new sleeker device. Without the app market it's really just a stripped smartphone and, regardless of the hardware specs, can only do so much. Other devices/platforms have pulled too far ahead from where RIM is.

I know quite a few people who still use blackberrys... but several of them have other/newer phones as well.

sfd
02-01-2013, 02:03 PM
My company issues Iphones to every employee (or a blackberry if you want one) and we work with high level security clearances inculding government accounts. Iphone was approved no problem and most of us use it for work. My GF has a blackberry for work and I could never use it. Iphone is just so much easier for emails and app support. Hell I can run or attend a webex via my phone over the 3g now. Or use Communicator. Or access my email. Runs everything like a champ.

Still hate how buggy the iphone can be though.

PoisonTheWell
02-01-2013, 02:06 PM
Sporting a 9900 now. Not sure if I'm going with the Z10 in March or waiting for the Q10 in April. I love physical keyboards, so I'm inclined to wait until April.

ISPKI
02-02-2013, 01:39 AM
^^^ That is a big reason why my fiance kept going back to it, that and it didnt break like all her other phones. Touch screen keyboards fucking blow compared to a well done physical keyboard.

Also - There are many people who do not use apps on their smartphones. I for one do not, many of my co workers do not. We use them because they give us access to our machines at work and to our email at work. A blackberry can do all of those things as well. Granted, having apps would increase blackberry's market exponentially but its not like everyone gets a smartphone just for the apps.

PoisonTheWell
02-02-2013, 02:11 AM
My mom got a 9930 after going in to check out the iPhone and failing to type anything because her nails would get in the way.

Instagram, Skype and Angry Birds confirmed. Not sure about any of the Zynga games like Words with Friends, Draw Something, or that song game, having a brain fart and can't remember the name. I'm sure they'll have tons of apps on launch, but they have to secure the popular apps that iOS and Android platforms are supporting. People want to play with their friends. While BBM was awesome when everyone was rocking BB's, it's thinnned out a lot. Apparently, it's relatively easy to sideload Android apps on to BB10. E-Mail push for me is HUGE. I love that on Blackberries. Sometimes get the e-mail notification on my phone before my computer. Flash and html5 support. I'm sold.

Oddly, the Q10 has a higher capacity battery than the Z10 and it also has a more efficient OLED screen. I'd be happy with anything that had better battery life than the 9900.

Harry
02-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Blackberry will never be relevant unless it creates a decent app market.

The excuse of "Well, it's a good business phone and it's secure" is no longer a great argument. Most new smart phones can do everything anyone needs in a "business phone". If the company has a decent policy on phone security, they are not very vulnerable to attack. Not over a Blackberry at least.

I'm seeing lots of Android devices infiltrating the Blackberry dominated GOV sector.

The question needs to be asked "Why should I get rid of my iphone, galaxy, droid, etc for a Blackberry phone?

I can't really think of a good reason.

Apps won't be a problem for long. But yes it's a problem right now. As far as a reason to switch, there are a few, just from the phone itself, it seems its more serviceable, you can actually open it up and remove the battery, change it or maybe upgrade it later on. it has usb and hdmi ports, which won't win any android users but so far that's all stuff apple does not have, and it's stuff people have bitched about from day one. Theres some fresh ideas implemented in the operation and navigation of the system itself, if you watch the video of it and how it navigates, it's actually pretty cool looking, it seems to have some clever moves the other two don't. there's no home button, and it runs several apps at once and it seems to be made so you can view them simultaneously in a useable way. Theres a really ingenious word predictor built in to the browser which I use on my playbook. As you type a series of words appear right over the keyboard, somehow,99% of the time the next word you need in your sentence appears there. I don't know how it knows but it knows, you can write the majority of a paragraph sometimes just by clicking the next word, this is a big thing for people trying to type on a handheld gadget. Idk if it works this well with the phone but its pretty cool on the playbook. It also has a big screen, which again is an advantage over apple. Then of course there's the physical keyboard version.

As far as apps go, they made it so that they can port android apps really easily to work on bb, I'm going off the top of my head here, someone may have the actual numbers but before launch they got some 70 000 android apps converted to bb in like 3 days. Basically, it looks like they're just going to use the android app base ultimately which solves the app problem, I don't think apps are going to be a problem. BB is aggressively trying to build their app base and they seem to be increasing it by the day. And like was already said, a lot of people aren't app people anyway. I do think they need to work on the quality of their apps though more, rather than volume. They HAVE to get netflix if they expect to be taken seriously, and they have to get google maps too. Their native maps program is actually worse than the one apple tried to use.

I've been openly mocking bb for the last 2 years, the playbook which I have is really way way behind the ipad which I also have, so I was expecting this phone to tank, but from what I'm seeing I've very optimistic that they will pull it off.

civcmatt
02-03-2013, 11:32 AM
blackberry has an app store...they have for YEARS and it seems to have a lot of decent things from what i understand so im not sure thats going to be that big of an issue for long....

plus on top of that you can put android apps on it.

Double R
02-04-2013, 09:14 AM
Apps won't be a problem for long. But yes it's a problem right now. As far as a reason to switch, there are a few, just from the phone itself, it seems its more serviceable, you can actually open it up and remove the battery, change it or maybe upgrade it later on. it has usb and hdmi ports, which won't win any android users but so far that's all stuff apple does not have, and it's stuff people have bitched about from day one. Theres some fresh ideas implemented in the operation and navigation of the system itself, if you watch the video of it and how it navigates, it's actually pretty cool looking, it seems to have some clever moves the other two don't. there's no home button, and it runs several apps at once and it seems to be made so you can view them simultaneously in a useable way. Theres a really ingenious word predictor built in to the browser which I use on my playbook. As you type a series of words appear right over the keyboard, somehow,99% of the time the next word you need in your sentence appears there. I don't know how it knows but it knows, you can write the majority of a paragraph sometimes just by clicking the next word, this is a big thing for people trying to type on a handheld gadget. Idk if it works this well with the phone but its pretty cool on the playbook. It also has a big screen, which again is an advantage over apple. Then of course there's the physical keyboard version.

As far as apps go, they made it so that they can port android apps really easily to work on bb, I'm going off the top of my head here, someone may have the actual numbers but before launch they got some 70 000 android apps converted to bb in like 3 days. Basically, it looks like they're just going to use the android app base ultimately which solves the app problem, I don't think apps are going to be a problem. BB is aggressively trying to build their app base and they seem to be increasing it by the day. And like was already said, a lot of people aren't app people anyway. I do think they need to work on the quality of their apps though more, rather than volume. They HAVE to get netflix if they expect to be taken seriously, and they have to get google maps too. Their native maps program is actually worse than the one apple tried to use.

I've been openly mocking bb for the last 2 years, the playbook which I have is really way way behind the ipad which I also have, so I was expecting this phone to tank, but from what I'm seeing I've very optimistic that they will pull it off.

Fuck you, Harry.

Harry
02-04-2013, 12:44 PM
I hate it when you give up :( I even leave some holes open in my arguments just for you.

c_murder
02-04-2013, 12:58 PM
o snap

EXCellR8
02-04-2013, 11:57 PM
lol

so, the company is now just "BlackBerry" and no more "Research In Motion?"

Harry
02-05-2013, 12:38 AM
Yep. Anyone else see the blackberry superbowl ad? I thought it sucked. Real waste of a real opportunity if you ask me. If someone can link it. I would but I'm on my bb playbook and it's not that easy to do.
The irony.

PoisonTheWell
02-05-2013, 12:00 PM
It was pretty weaksauce. They really needed something to say "WE'RE BACK!"