PDA

View Full Version : Former AMD Chief Hector Ruiz's Book

EXCellR8
02-15-2013, 02:55 PM
At this point, it would be miraculous to see AMD bounce back from the stranglehold of Intel, but honestly I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel. Acquiring ATI seemed to be a promising investment but even with GPU sales shining the company seems pretty doomed.

Advanced Micro Devices AMD -1.81% for years accused Intel INTC -1.04% of illegal tactics in the market for microprocessor chips, a dispute that many people may have forgotten. Hector Ruiz wants the story remembered.

The former AMD chief has written a book that memorializes his bet-the-company decision in 2005 to file an antitrust case against its much larger rival, a volume of roughly 200 pages that comes with heavy doses of David versus Goliath imagery. It’s called “Slingshot,” and subtitled “AMD’s Fight To Free An Industry From The Ruthless Grip Of Intel.”

Link (http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/02/14/former-amd-chiefs-book-describes-fight-against-intel/)

ISPKI
02-18-2013, 12:23 PM
You look at vendors like Newegg.com and you can see how much favoritism there is for Intel. They sell three times more chips and about the same ratio of motherboards that are intel rather than AMD. When companies have a big unveiling of new models or an awesome special going, it is almost always for intel hardware, and its not that Intel builds better hardware. Comparing parts price to price, AMD's hardware generally performs similar to Intel's. The big difference is that Intel's top priced hardware smokes AMD's top priced hardware....you know since there is a 600+ difference between the two. I really do not want to see what happens if/when AMD actually tanks and Intel really controls the CPU market. It will be a sad sad day for computer enthusiasts.

EXCellR8
02-18-2013, 09:21 PM
As a user of Intel processors and AMD GPUs I can't really say that I favor one without being hypocritical. When I first got into computers many years ago I was using AMD stuff but once I started tweaking and overclocking I found a overall better platform with Intel. There just seemed to be a much larger array of resources, knowledge, and variety of products for the enthusiast type. It sucks that they control the market like they do, but AMD is still hanging in there. Most of their processors get pretty good reviews but their mobile CPU's are almost non-existent now. Graphics cards are probably their strongest suit at the moment, with relatively high adoption since Radeons are generally cheaper. I've been using them since 2008 now and I haven't really looked back. Then you have their combo CPU/GPU chips with seemed really great at first, but ultimately left a lot of be desired. Bulldozer also left enthusiasts mostly disappointed.

I don't know, it certainly doesn't look good for them, but you never know... they aren't dead yet.

ISPKI
02-24-2013, 10:28 PM
I have built machines with Intel and AMD chips. I mostly stick to AMD for my desktop although my laptop has a 6 core i7 in it. Its a fine chip but, my desktop's 965 quad core handles gaming much better. I have an AMD 1645 hex core that also handles gaming better. Its just that you can either buy an i5 for 200+ dollars or you can buy a 900 series black edition quad core for 90$. Both of them will run any game on the market currently, but the intel benchmarks higher.

EXCellR8
02-25-2013, 12:51 PM
Depends, if you're just gaming AMD is a perfect platform when you look at cost-to-performance. It's when you need to do other shit (3D rendering, HD video encoding, file compression/decompression, large image processing etc.) where Intel chips will almost always come out on top. Not to say it's always a drastic difference, but when I need to raw power I turn to Intel. With gaming there are a lot of different factors that contribute how a title runs, and 90% of it has to do with the graphics card and its drivers. CPU actually plays sort of a secondary role. My i5's and i7's barely work when I play games, but meanwhile the video card sweats its ass off haha.

I am really glad to see AMD having another shot in the PS4, which I think will definitely help the company stay on its feet. Hopefully Sony is able to sell a lot of units and market their new console properly. PS3 got off to a shaky start so I'm hoping they've learned something. If AMD and Sony actually linked up for some other products (tablets, laptops, televisions, whatever) they could really start to rebuild their own market.

ISPKI
03-05-2013, 02:03 AM
So far, I have had only a few customers who do any serious professional grade development work and I myself do some work in Solidworks. I havent seen any issues so far with the AMD chips processing this work, but they arent doing it on a massive corporate scale - mostly smaller tooling designs and residential development stuff, some HD video work but again not on a huge scale that you would get in a large company that needs the data processed as fast as possible. Intel chips are just not necessary for nearly every consumer besides those needing the absolute most powerful hardware available. On paper, AMD should have a very strong market but Intel has just positioned itself better and people buy into them for no reason other than that dick-measuring mentality that so many people have.