PDA

View Full Version : PlayStation 4 - Holiday 2013

EXCellR8
02-23-2013, 05:40 PM
Sony officially announced their latest console earlier this week, and some new details have been released as well.

http://static.techspot.com/images2/news/bigimage/2013-02-20-image-4.jpg

Sony described the next generation console as a supercharged PC, powered by an eight-core x86 processor that can pump out nearly 2 teraflops of computational performance. The PS4 will contain an enhanced PC-style GPU and 8GB of GDDR5 high-speed memory – lending credit to some of the rumors we have been hearing leading up to today’s announcement. Detailed hardware specifics were noticeably absent from the press conference but we were told that a secondary processor will be used to allow gamers to download titles in the background and play them as they are being downloaded.

According to Sony the console will be able to render roughly twice as many polygons than the PS3. They haven't revealed what it will actually look like, but they did show the controller... which to no surprise looks an awful lot like the previous ones. This latest one however sports a touchpad, headphone jack, dedicate share button, and a light bar which allows player identification and movement tracking (similar to PSMove I assume).

http://static.techspot.com/images2/news/bigimage/2013-02-20-image-5.jpg

PlayStation 3 games won’t be backwards compatible with the new console natively although the company did say they are exploring advanced technologies that could bring PS3 games to the PS4 in the future. This could possibly happen through Gaikai, the cloud gaming service that Sony acquired last summer.

Apparently there is going to be heavier emphasis on social networking and sharing with the PS4, compared to last generation consoles anyway--but most of the core features will be retained. There will also be some kind of PSVita integration and streaming but details are kinda sketchy at the moment. The company stated that they wanted to make every PS4 game playable on the handheld etc. There are some games lined up but whether or not they will be actual launch titles are TBA.

Killzone
Shadow Fall
Deep Down
Watch Dogs
Knack
Driveclub
Infamous
Gran Turismo (just kidding)

...and hopefully Destiny, which appears to be the ideal blend of social interaction and gaming.

There is no MSRP on the new console, or any information on the new hardware being finalized, but that will hopefully come out soon. I would assume, depending on how much storage, that the unit will cost several hundred dollars at launch. I will most likely dive in on one, along with a new TV perhaps. I haven't been able to find any details on PSN, but my guess is they are going to keep it free with the Plus subscription still available.

Cage
02-23-2013, 05:44 PM
no backwards compatibility sucks

the rumor that you cannot play used game is false

DualShock 3 controllers will not work

DualShock 4 controllers have touchpad, built in move sensor, share button, and an audio jack for head sets

Will ship with a head set

so far, im liking what i see, im holding out to see what MS comes up with. . i may jump ship this time around

Cage
02-23-2013, 05:46 PM
btw, ill delete my PS4 thread, this one was better than mine anyway lol

EXCellR8
02-23-2013, 07:12 PM
ya i must have been making this one while you posted yours, opps. i did do a quick check thinking grav may have posted something. where is he??

anyway i tried posting as much as i could find on the controller since that's the only piece of hardware we have to look at. i haven't really followed up on my thread about the hardware DRM, but since I haven't heard anything since i would assume they are gonna save that for a very rainy day. they can't really expect to implement something that would aim to kill the used game market. i think from the sounds of it the new console has a lot of potential. backwards comp would have been nice but the PS3 is still pretty relevant. they will prob end up doing the same thing as the ps2, with games trickling out and then years from now discontinue it. i read something briefly about making some PS3 games available on the PS4 later on but there wasn't much info. i think the new console has potential, some of the early project devs seem to like it.

your move microsoft.

Cage
02-23-2013, 11:45 PM
ya i must have been making this one while you posted yours, opps. i did do a quick check thinking grav may have posted something. where is he??

anyway i tried posting as much as i could find on the controller since that's the only piece of hardware we have to look at. i haven't really followed up on my thread about the hardware DRM, but since I haven't heard anything since i would assume they are gonna save that for a very rainy day. they can't really expect to implement something that would aim to kill the used game market. i think from the sounds of it the new console has a lot of potential. backwards comp would have been nice but the PS3 is still pretty relevant. they will prob end up doing the same thing as the ps2, with games trickling out and then years from now discontinue it. i read something briefly about making some PS3 games available on the PS4 later on but there wasn't much info. i think the new console has potential, some of the early project devs seem to like it.

your move microsoft.

all i know for hardware so far is. .

8gb DDR5 mem

internal HDD

8 Core AMD CPU

1.8 Teraflops of GPU power

P-Spec
02-24-2013, 03:26 AM
nothing exciting pretty much exactly what was expected....a beefed up pc in console form....nothing exciting. To tell the truth I was expecting at least one "next gen wow factor" feature. I honestly can't see how Microsoft doesn't destroy this, because at the absolute least they will be coming out with their own version of a supercomputer console and from what I've heard a version of Kinect that is 999^10 times better than the current version.

If both companies just end up plopping out linear progressions (i.e. same shit more processing power) than i will be quite disappointed

Harry
02-24-2013, 11:06 AM
Am I to understand that this is a device that plays video games onto your television set? What won't they think of next.

EXCellR8
02-24-2013, 11:58 AM
"next gen wow factor feature"... what does that even mean? consoles play games, and since we don't have virtual reality or anything close we're just gonna have to settle for HDTV and 3D.

what are they gonna do... add a life support module so in case u have a seizure it calls for help? Like "WOW, my next gen console saved my life!" as far as im concerned, in a console i want something that's obviously powerful, plays games without the hassles of a PC, has a solid network and online interface, and has plenty of output options. If I want any more features than that I'll just turn on my computer. Kinect and PSMove have basically no appeal to me and we can anticipate a slew of new dancing shovelware to hit store shelves. nothing else works as good save for some sports titles, which are BORING AS FUCK.

I picture the next xbox (which i really hope they don't name the 720) to be a online-only digital media console that focuses on streaming media and cloud services. it WILL have strong windows 8 integration which will probably mean another metro/touch interface and I'm not sure but there was talk of the next console having no optical drive. that basically means no used games, and download-only content. like i said that may not be true but if that's the case the overall price of the console would be higher since LIVE is not free etc. there isn't a whole lot of information on the next xbox, but since MS faced a lot of piracy on their previous console, i except them to do something stupid in regards to alternative DRM.

overall, it's a perfectly reasonable assumption that microsoft could outgun the PS4 in terms of power, but it's going to come down to how it plays games. i never bothered with the 360 at first because i didn't play enough to want a LIVE subscription, and then i bought a few banned consoles purely for playing bootlegs and backups.

civcmatt
02-24-2013, 03:22 PM
with PS announcing first it gives Xbox a chance to really step up their game and throw in better hardware at it. will stick with Xbox though ive never been a huge PS fan from the get go, owned one and sold it shortly after.

as far as the online games....i am rooting for this...sure it will get rid of used games and what not..but no Media...no Artwork...less $$.

only downside to online games....most ISP's are limiting bandwidth....everything moving online....retarded combo.

Double R
02-25-2013, 07:45 AM
The difference in computing power from the 720/PS4 will be minimal. They'll both run games that look like 2008 titles on a PC with mid level graphics cards.

The leap from generation to generation is getting smaller graphics wise.

Most release games won't look much different from AAA titles on the last-gen consoles.

The success of these consoles will be determined by how they present their all-in-one entertainment model. PSN vs Xbox live. Who can make the best console that will do it all?

I'm on the fence regarding the Xbox these days. They had better blow me the fuck away with the new console. If it's more Kinect casual bullshit, then I might make the switch to the PS4, especially with the best days of Halo being behind it. Fuck paying for Xbox live gold to get shit like Netflix and other features the PS4 will offer for free.

If all my friends didn't own Xboxes, I'd probably be 90/10 on Sony's side by now.

civcmatt
02-25-2013, 10:39 AM
The difference in computing power from the 720/PS4 will be minimal. They'll both run games that look like 2008 titles on a PC with mid level graphics cards.

The leap from generation to generation is getting smaller graphics wise.

Most release games won't look much different from AAA titles on the last-gen consoles.

The success of these consoles will be determined by how they present their all-in-one entertainment model. PSN vs Xbox live. Who can make the best console that will do it all?

I'm on the fence regarding the Xbox these days. They had better blow me the fuck away with the new console. If it's more Kinect casual bullshit, then I might make the switch to the PS4, especially with the best days of Halo being behind it. Fuck paying for Xbox live gold to get shit like Netflix and other features the PS4 will offer for free.

If all my friends didn't own Xboxes, I'd probably be 90/10 on Sony's side by now.

see what i mean by Xbox having the edge with PS announcing first is why (i personally think) PS3 has better graphics and Xbox currently. Xbox came out and announced 360 and PS went back and turned up the dial just a lil to get some better graphic flows from it. they already know the graphics from it...so they "should" say you know what...lets drop a little better GPU in it and kick up the RAM a tiny bit to get the edge. will cost minimal to have the "best" console.

as for the Live vs PSN....i have always noticed that Live has a much better experience online that PS. my old roommate had a PS3 we used to go out at midnight and get the COD releases and what not.....went home and played. i got in 2 full online games before he even got one matchmaking game. personally i think the servers are faster and smoother than PSN....and it kind of has to be. give something free..make it decent...charge someone $60 for something, it better be amazing!

you are right with the All in One Console though. it seems that Consoles are heading towards the TV/Movie watching crowd as well....personally i think Xbox has it beat there just for the MS to Windows capabilities. most people have Windows...turn on sharing and bam you can stream everything. my brother has a PS3 and tries to stream TV Shows i get for him and its a pain. so i think that both parties will step this up and try to get rid of DVR services and go OnDemand as well.
------PS i agree its retarded as fuck you have to have a Gold Live sub to get Netflix and HBOGo Etc.

EXCellR8
02-25-2013, 12:38 PM
PSN does pretty much everything XBL does, the only difference is that there are more Xbox users.

For me I'm a casual gamer and online comes second, not that I'm antisocial but I just like doing my own shit. When I do go online it's private/dedicated I don't even bother with public for a second. Fuck that. When I first got on XBL in 2005(ish) it was fucking brand new and awesome. It felt like a luxury and I didn't mind having to pay because there were some cool people to game with on there. Now it's fucking garbage, chock full of 10 year olds, wannabe-badasses, and 30 year olds who never moved out.

I wouldn't even think about paying for something like that anymore... and the social integration makes it even worse imo. Everyone is in everyone else's shit. It used to be about the games, now it's not.

civcmatt
02-25-2013, 01:29 PM
you are right that the people were a lot better back in the day. i dont even use my mic unless im playing with people i know. as where back in the day i would talk to people i didnt know...much different.

EXCellR8
02-25-2013, 01:45 PM
Used to play Project Gotham racing with a group of real cool guys overseas... literally the first game I ever tried on XBL. That shit was fucking terrific and everyone was friendly and fun. Now, you ask a simple question and people flame the shit out of you call u a noob, faggot, n***er, and whatever other derogatory term that is in their lowlife American vocabulary. I don't understand why anyone would pay for that unless they always have friends to play with but I guess it's not all bad... just mostly lol.

I can't even tell you how many of the more recent online gaming endeavors resulted in me just muting the entire room before ultimately quitting :lol:

P-Spec
02-25-2013, 03:46 PM
"next gen wow factor feature"... what does that even mean? consoles play games, and since we don't have virtual reality or anything close we're just gonna have to settle for HDTV and 3D.

It means something to generate a buzz and cause genuine excitement for its release, a true technological leap other than the expected linear progression of slightly better graphical output. As RR pointed out, the margin of progress in graphics between generations is getting thinner and thinner. The major "wow factor" for this generation was the transition from simply things that play video games to all-in-one entertainment devices that consoles became. So far it seems that for next-gen consoles they are just taking that and adding in more social media bullshit. I don't see anything that's gonna make me cream my pantaloons in anticipation. It'll be more like...."cool, slightly better graphics, i'll probably get that at some point."

EXCellR8
02-25-2013, 04:10 PM
in order for Microsoft to start innovating again, they need to get rid of Steve Ballmer, that guy is just terrible for the company. His whole style of management is hurting the company and he's not a leader. Dude needs to be dethroned immediately imo or the company will continue to suffer under a 'lame duck' board as many of the ex-employees have stated. The main problem is when he thinks someone could possibly take his spot, he gets rid of them regardless of how qualified they are. Plus the guy's like 65 lol

i hope they can make something work, but i can tell you right now they better come up with something better than kinect. something with double backwards compatibility would be fucking sick, but i'm pretty sure that idea is a pipe dream.

Siegler
02-25-2013, 06:47 PM
I highly doubt Sony won't introduce something of 'wow factor'. It would be the first playstation that didn't offer something new and exciting

PS1: Disc Player and something different from mario
PS2: DVD player
PS3: Blu-Ray player
PS4: Nothing?

If Sony didn't have those wow factors for their other consoles, they wouldn't be around. The DVD player and Blu ray player is what got your non-hardcore market to buy their products and stay afloat. This press conference is an absolute waste of time. It doesn't give us anything. Especially since this is way before it comes out, they're not showing their hands.

Expect a 'wow factor' from Sony probably around E3. Maybe 4K resolution support or something. It's what has kept them afloat before.

Double R
03-01-2013, 02:48 PM
http://gematsu.com/gallery/albums/playstation-4/february-27-2013/PlayStation-4_2013_02-27-13_001.jpg

Siegler
04-14-2013, 01:55 PM
Looks like the PS4 will support 4k resolution now, just in time for the new TVs

EXCellR8
04-14-2013, 03:44 PM
that's the plan... i wanted to get one of those cool sonos wireless hi-fi bars but their like fucking $700!!! fuck that.

still on board for the console and TV though.

Stealth
04-14-2013, 04:21 PM
If microsoft was smart, they would invest into the oculus rift and bundle that shit with all their systems and start crushing the game. Once you try playing with VR glasses, you won't want to play any other way.

EXCellR8
04-14-2013, 04:44 PM
it's not that they aren't smart... it's that they are being led by the wrong person. sb is a tool.

and occulus rift is seriously far off from being what people want it to be. nobody want's to pay what $400 so they can play Doom 3 with head tracking.

civcmatt
04-14-2013, 08:31 PM
Isn't that their point of the kinect 2.0? It's supposed to have a ton of points of identification being able to see your fingers move and shit. Up to like 4 people.

EXCellR8
04-14-2013, 10:48 PM
yea i can't wait for the next SICK bowling game which will allow me to turn my head to see the ball return...

actually that would be pretty dope.

nhlfan
04-14-2013, 10:54 PM
Looks like the PS4 will support 4k resolution now, just in time for the new TVs
This is pretty much what I was waiting to hear.

Double R
04-15-2013, 07:35 AM
it's not that they aren't smart... it's that they are being led by the wrong person. sb is a tool.

and occulus rift is seriously far off from being what people want it to be. nobody want's to pay what $400 so they can play Doom 3 with head tracking.

According to sales figures, Ballmer is doing fine.

Now, that is in the context of catering to the mass appear of causal gamers.

He's a fucking Judas when it comes to the hardcore gaming community that much is true.

We'll see how the 720 sells. Most people who buy consoles at launch will be the enthusiasts, not the casuals. Since the leap in graphics from this gen to next gen isn't going to be as significant as the last one, I don't see a lot of casuals making the switch early on. From what I've gathered in the gaming community, Microsoft is going to get it's ass handed to them by Sony. Now that Halo has kind of reached it's sunset, what will the MSoft fanboys be loyal to?

civcmatt
04-15-2013, 04:24 PM
i honestly really hope they dont call it the xbox 720....they need to pull an Apple and just call it "xbox" xbox 720 is so super gay

EXCellR8
04-15-2013, 10:53 PM
^yea i've thought the same thing for awhile... or xbox 3.0 or something/anything but 720. however i feel like they may just go the lazy route and do just that.

gears of war has also hit its sunset mark imho with "judgement" which is just kinda meh all the way around. MS needs a new ace in the hole if you will or another killer app; esp now that bungie is doing cross platform with Destiny. seems like they are really tipping toward family and casual gaming and if that's the case, they might as well call a new console a "wii alternative"

nhlfan
04-15-2013, 11:12 PM
i honestly really hope they dont call it the xbox 720....they need to pull an Apple and just call it "xbox" xbox 720 is so super gay

Do you know why it's called the Xbox 720? It's because when you see it you turn 720 degrees and walk away.

ibnoonegetsreference

D-Atk
04-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Do you know why it's called the Xbox 720? It's because when you see it you turn 720 degrees and walk away.

ibnoonegetsreference

:wait:

Double R
04-16-2013, 11:48 AM
http://i.imgur.com/coQ71js.gif