PDA

View Full Version : lol @ EA/Sims. What a massive charlie foxtrot.

Double R
03-14-2013, 08:08 AM
A quick break down:

1. Players find out they can continue playing well after they are disconnected from the game servers. This means EA's claim of "always online" being in place for complex calculations being farmed to remote servers is 100% bullshit.

2. Anonymous EA employee confirmed that EA's servers do little more than matchmaking.

3. Also, it was found that the Sims in the game aren't complex. Like..at all. The are programmed to go to the nearest spot. For example. Sim #1670 won't go to a house programmed for only Sim # 1670. It will just go to the nearest house. It turns out that they are not assigned specific jobs, homes, needs, desires, etc. They simply wait for the game to tell them where to go, and how to get there in the quickest way possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH-CdkSqDSs

This video easily describes the broken AI. They just go to the next available house. Not "their" house.

4. The game actually lies to you about the reported number of Sims in your city. After about 500 people, the algorithm changes and starts to fudge numbers.

It's in the code itself:

simcity.GetFudgedPopulation = function (a) {
a = "undefined" !== typeof a ? a : simcity.gGlobalUIHandler.mLastPopulation;
if (500 >= a)
return a;
if (40845 < a)
return Math.floor(8.25 * a);
a = Math.pow(a - 500, 1.2) + 500;
return Math.floor(a)

"GetFudgedPopulation"

:what:

The problem with this is that the game expects you to fill jobs with Sims that DO NOT EXIST. Requirements for work continue to rise and the game starts complaining. It's impossible to get around. The RCI ratio is fucked.

http://i.imgur.com/OApQPON.png

This is from the Game Info page at SimCity.com.

The new SimCity delivers unprecedented depth of simulation thanks to the new GlassBox engine, where everything you see is simulated – from city-wide systems all the way down to the individual Sims in your city. View the consequences of your actions and dig in to see how the systems work.

:rage1::rage1::rage1::rage1::rage1:

And the icing on the cake.... People have already shit all on EA's DRM.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/14/modder-runs-simcity-offline-maxis-remains-silent/

Players have reverse engineered modding. Significant parts of the game's code is in Javascript.
The game can be played without an internet connection indefinitely after modding. All that is needed is to remove the disconnect timer.
The fudged population numbers can be fixed as well with minimal effort.
SimCity has behavior for offline save handling. When offline, your city is saved and is uploaded to Origin the next time you go online. Offline mode seemed to be cut hastily.
Debug tools were left open, allowing 'griefing' other people's cities by setting DEBUG=1.
"Big maps" are referenced multiple times in the game's code. Possible DLC regions with big city plots? It's the only way they can increase the city size without breaking existing maps.
Internal terraforming tools were discovered, but requires a special build of the game.
After modding, you can play around outside 2km2 plot, and it saves syncs to the server.
Latest patch has made package files read only, and disabled debug tools / the cheat console.

There goes future SimCity DLC :dance: People are just going to mod the shit out of it.

I wonder when EA will come out and say that the "online only" was just a way to control their product and milk customers into buying useless DLC that could have easily been built into the game.

Stealth
03-14-2013, 11:11 AM
Nice, maybe now i can download it. I really didn't want to fork over any money to ea.

EXCellR8
03-14-2013, 08:03 PM
javascript, really? they really are just not trying anymore. give us $60 for broken shit, NOW!

oh gaming, what have you become?

Stealth
03-15-2013, 08:12 AM
Looks like a patched version of the game will be out soon to download and play offline

Double R
03-18-2013, 05:12 PM
Annnnnd EA's CEO was just shitcanned.

zedron
03-18-2013, 10:45 PM
:lulz:

Stealth
03-19-2013, 07:59 AM
I just got Tropico in what was some solid advice from reddit.

We will see how it goes.

Double R
03-19-2013, 08:17 AM
Tropico is fun as shit.

zedron
03-19-2013, 11:16 AM
Tropico is fun as shit.

I played that a while ago. Fun as hell.

veloceracing
03-19-2013, 11:50 AM
I'm playing tropico 4 as well

EXCellR8
03-20-2013, 03:37 PM
I never tried Tropico, but then again I was never really into these city builder/sims type games. I always kinda figured they were all shovelware since I usually spot them in the checkout line at the electronics stores...