PDA

View Full Version : Audio guys....question

civcmatt
04-26-2013, 12:56 PM
So here is my situation....when i travel i take my xbox with me to play in my hotel, all the hotels have HDTV's so i can just hookup my HDMI cable and play xbox easily......However, i have some over the ear SkullCandy headphones that i want to use, main thought was just use the headphone jack on the TV's not realizing they dont have them. So i decided to buy a cheapie headphone amp, not powered or anything just has an inline volume adjuster that i plugged directly into the Audio out from the TV, but since it is pretty loud, i turned down the volume but since its loud going out its a bit distorted of sound.

so anyone have any ideas or use anything like this setup with an older surround or headphones while people are sleeping or something. basically i can either go from Toslink(from xbox) to headphones or from audio out (3.5MM jack) to headphones.

ideas? i dont want to spend a TON of money but would like it when i travel so i dont have to play games with shitty TV sound.

sfd
04-26-2013, 01:17 PM
Personally I would just do toslink to 3.5mm adapter off the xbox. Cleaner and more predictable sound output regardless of what TV you use. I saw toslink to male 3.5mm adapter for $4 on amazon. Either fine a toslink to female or just get another 3.5mm adapter and you're in business.

EXCellR8
04-26-2013, 02:39 PM
www.firefold.com is your friend

civcmatt
04-26-2013, 08:31 PM
You know of anything from the site? I looked up headphone amp and digital to headphone and just a bunch of cables came up.... Was there something you were thinking or just a good Site to look? I looked on my phone and their mobile site it wack and it would t request the desktop site for some reason

EXCellR8
04-27-2013, 08:46 PM
i can usually find what i want on there in terms of adapters and whatnot, but i haven't used their mobile site. they may actually be under new management though so i haven't taken a look as of late. it was THE place to get HDMI/audio products, adapters and cables, wall jacks, and other miscellaneous stuff that was otherwise tricky to find for cheap money.

Stealth
04-29-2013, 06:32 AM
You will need a spdif to analog converter which will cost you a bit of money. (not the cheapest way)
That will probably run you around 100 bucks unless u can find a used one for less.

Otherwise the cheapest solution is to just use the component connections and get a RCA to 3.5 adapter, both which cost less then 10 bucks.
Unless you hotel rooms don't have component connections, which most hotel tv's i've ever seen do.

civcmatt
05-06-2013, 09:26 AM
i found a way to do it from Turtle Beach with the DSS2....but i ended up just getting a pair of turtle beach phones with a mic....they arent surround, but i dont care that much....they sound wicked, and have a mic built in so it works.

turtle beach for the fucking win...those things are amazing....for 44 bucks.....seriously worth it, great buy.