PDA

View Full Version : Keto

Double R
04-29-2013, 06:33 AM
Been on it for 4 weeks.

My size 36 pants are falling off me. Lost maybe an inch so far.

Don't know how much I weight because scales are for things with bleeding slits.

Anyway, do it. It'll change your shit up.

zedron
04-29-2013, 08:57 AM
I was on that for almost 6 months. Lost 20 lbs and 3 - 4 pant sizes. Nothing like a diet consisting of bacon, burgers, and cheese. mmmmm

Double R
04-29-2013, 09:27 AM
hahaha

There's these things called vegetables, too.

D-Atk
04-29-2013, 10:26 AM
What does this diet consist of?

Stealth
04-29-2013, 10:53 AM
i did a varient of it and lost 40lb's but i did loose muscle too (not enough fat confused) and to low of calories. (scarsdale diet)
I wrote about it on ***.

Doing it now and i'm down 10lb's in 2 weeks.

Best part of keto is you aren't hungry between meals. It suppresses my appetite big time IMO.

Normal Day

Breakfast

2 eggs w/ bacon & cheese on LoW carb Peta (7 net carbs)

Lunch -

Chili (low carb) / Muscle Maker Grill (low carb item) / Chicken w/ Salad

Dinner

Streak or Chicken w/ Vegitiable

Snacks
Cheese
Veggies

Harry
04-29-2013, 11:46 AM
what's so wonderful about it? Maybe I'll send it to my friend who keeps trying to diet and can't stand being hungry all the time.

Stealth
04-29-2013, 01:05 PM
You just restrict your carb intake, depending on the person, average i think is under 50-100g of carbs per day.

I try and stick it to under 50g, depending on what kind of carbs i have anything over, it kicks me out of ketosis.
They sell sticks that you can pee on that tells you if you are producing ketones so u can see what you need to be under.

Stealth
04-29-2013, 01:13 PM
To keep it simple, your body stops using carbs for energy and starts using fat.

For a lot of people, hunger disapears and you basicly start eating less by not even trying. Protien and Fat make you feel full faster
and keep hunger away, so you eat less even though you are eating foods that people usually tell you to avoid. Bacon, Eggs, Steak, cheese, ect ect...

Aside from that, health benifits are a great, people see their blood preasure go down and their HDL/LDL ratio get a LOT better. In some cases if not all better then medicine does.

I can go all day on about it. There are a ton of benifits

Harry
04-29-2013, 04:49 PM
Sounds just like the Atkins diet.

Stealth
04-30-2013, 07:15 AM
it is atkins lol, high fat/protiend low carb.

Harry
04-30-2013, 12:08 PM
I did the atkins lol. A few years ago, me and a couple of people. It "does" work, the problem with the atkins is its a bit of a bust. What happens when you cut out your carbs is like you said your body changes the way it metabolizes it's energy and you start burning fat, but what was discovered is that eventually your body adjusts to the new system and returns to producing the same fat stores as before. I'm no dietician so i'm speaking laymens here, the terminology is off but the way it was explained was you're benefiting from the short term "shock" you've put your body in, the point from when you reduced carbs to the point where your body catches up to the changes and returns to normal. It takes a couple of months for your body to do this so in that time you do lose weight, but in my case, all of us lost a good amount of weight and all of us regained it, even though we stuck with the diet, the weight came back.

Maybe this keto thing is tweaked in a way where it works better, idk.

Stealth
04-30-2013, 01:07 PM
probably not eating enough fat IMO

Harry
04-30-2013, 02:53 PM
Very possible.

Double R
04-30-2013, 05:32 PM
I did the atkins lol. A few years ago, me and a couple of people. It "does" work, the problem with the atkins is its a bit of a bust. What happens when you cut out your carbs is like you said your body changes the way it metabolizes it's energy and you start burning fat, but what was discovered is that eventually your body adjusts to the new system and returns to producing the same fat stores as before. I'm no dietician so i'm speaking laymens here, the terminology is off but the way it was explained was you're benefiting from the short term "shock" you've put your body in, the point from when you reduced carbs to the point where your body catches up to the changes and returns to normal. It takes a couple of months for your body to do this so in that time you do lose weight, but in my case, all of us lost a good amount of weight and all of us regained it, even though we stuck with the diet, the weight came back.

Maybe this keto thing is tweaked in a way where it works better, idk.

With regarding the "plateau" when your body adjusts to the low low carb intake, it is suggested that you do a carb load day about once a month to every six weeks. Some advocate a carb load once a week. It's all about how your body responds.

I'm not talking about eating an entire birthday cake, but taking in a lot more cabs than usual. I'm at around 40-50 per day, so when I do a carb load day I'll go up to about 100 to kick myself out of ketosis. Then, when you drop back down, it jump starts the fart burning.

With Atkins, you basically NEVER carb up, which I think is ridiculous. Also, Atkins didn't believe in calorie counting. Calories are still important. A Keto diet probably won't work if you're wolfing down 5,000 calories in meat and cheese every day without any kind of workout program.

I should clarify, Keto incorporates several different diets. It's not just ONE diet. The goal is obviously ketosis, but each are different depending what your lifestyle is like. Atkins would be better for someone who isn't into lifting/heavy workouts. Trust me, trying to workout 5 days a week with < 20 carbs per day is tough. Your energy is shit.

SKD (standard keto diet) is a strait keto diet w/ no carb ups, similar to atkins type diet.

TKD is a targeted ketogenic diet, where carbs are ingested around training.

CKD is a cycling ketogenic diet where you eat low carbs during the week, and carb up on the weekends.

I'm doing the TKD method, which I will drink a protein shake after my morning workout(15g carbs) and after my evening workout(15g carbs). Other than that, the only carbs I get are with the veggies I eat with my lunch/dinner, which is negligible.

Harry
04-30-2013, 07:59 PM
thats pretty interesting, it makes a lot more sense now.

95civicex
04-30-2013, 11:19 PM
I'm intrigued.

Any specific sites that would be helpful for getting started on something like this?

Stealth
05-01-2013, 07:12 AM
after a few months of doing keto your body should fully adjust to working out on little to no carbs.

At first you will feel very fatiguied and your endurance is gonna suck big time.

Stealth
05-01-2013, 07:14 AM
Sunday I had carbs and it kicked me out ketosis, but i'm already back into mild ketosis on day 3.

It's hard to go out to parties with amazing food and not have carbs, I try and avoid them if possible keeping it under 50g and if 1 day a week i want to have a sandwhich i do it. You are still going to lose fat if 6 out 7 days you aren't having shitty carbs from bread.

Double R
05-01-2013, 01:19 PM
I'm intrigued.

Any specific sites that would be helpful for getting started on something like this?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gZfJejOM8fJsX1iCilmnpp1qmT_KncJwWCR4-EsaEHc/edit?pli=1

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

sfd
05-01-2013, 02:02 PM
I only have two problems with this diet; the adversity to fruits and salt. Can't say I heard of fat people who have a large portion of fruit in their diet. Plus the salt intake is crazy. I see the claims of helping blood pressure and stuff but what is the science behind salt as a major problem for high blood pressure yet in abundance in this diet being the opposite effect?

Stealth
05-01-2013, 07:35 PM
I only have two problems with this diet; the adversity to fruits and salt. Can't say I heard of fat people who have a large portion of fruit in their diet. Plus the salt intake is crazy. I see the claims of helping blood pressure and stuff but what is the science behind salt as a major problem for high blood pressure yet in abundance in this diet being the opposite effect?

there are a few reasons i'm sure but insulin resistance and the effects it has on your nervous system im sure are a few things that are good and the fact you are eliminating carbs the body can process salt better and get rid of it faster.
You have less retention of salt even though you are eating more of it. Your body is probably working more efficiently. I dunno.

Double R
05-02-2013, 07:39 AM
What Stealth said.

While in Ketosis, the body is super super efficient at eliminating salt. Even though you are eating more sodium rich foods, your body is expelling them at a greater rate.

Hell, I've had to drink some broth a few times because I was cramping so bad.

I've never heard of someone dying because they didn't eat enough fruit. If you love fruit, Keto probably isn't for you.

sfd
05-02-2013, 09:01 AM
I rarely eat fruit and love salt and meat so this is why it's almost too good to be true :lol: Hell the closest to fruit I came this month is a bag of grapes in my fridge that I picked a few from cause they were falling off the stems.

Stealth
05-02-2013, 09:23 AM
I do notice i pee a LOT more then I normally do, and it's usually pretty dark pee, so I've been drinking a lot more so its more of a clear color. Now, I'm peeing more because I'm drinking more but it's clear.

I feel keto also helps you retain less water too.

95civicex
05-02-2013, 10:23 PM
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gZfJejOM8fJsX1iCilmnpp1qmT_KncJwWCR4-EsaEHc/edit?pli=1

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

Cool.
Thanks man.
I think I saw the reddit one through a google search, just wanted to know if there were any that you guys look to more often.

D-Atk
05-03-2013, 02:05 PM
I would love to give this a try, my only thing is I cannot have anything leafy green like spinach or kale or broccoli due to me being on blood thinners.

What is a good substitute for them?

Harry
05-03-2013, 11:17 PM
Why are you on blood thinners?

Stealth
05-04-2013, 09:47 AM

Double R
05-04-2013, 02:04 PM
I would love to give this a try, my only thing is I cannot have anything leafy green like spinach or kale or broccoli due to me being on blood thinners.

What is a good substitute for them?

Bacon

D-Atk
05-04-2013, 07:28 PM

I had blood clot in my brain, caused a stoke back in January 2012 so that's why.

Stealth
05-04-2013, 07:37 PM
stop carbs and you won't need blood thinners.

I'm not a doctor so don't listen to me.

Double R
05-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Stealth, while attempting to be a dickhole, is actually somewhat correct.

Denny, I have NO idea what caused your blood clot, but if it's the cholesterol plaque clot, a Ketogenic diet lowers cholesterol significantly.

Don't listen to idiots who say fats raise cholesterol. There is literally ZERO scientific evidence of the correlation.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/low_carb_higher_fat_diets_add_no_arterial_health_r isks_to_obese_people_seeking_to_lose_weight

"Low-carb dieters showed no harmful vascular changes, but also on average dropped 10 pounds in 45 days, compared to an equal number of study participants randomly assigned to a low-fat diet. The low-fat group, whose diets consisted of no more than 30 percent from fat and 55 percent from carbs, took on average nearly a month longer, or 70 days, to lose the same amount of weight."

http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=717819

Here's an abstract linking high Blood Sugar levels and the occurrence of heart disease.

Also, not many people know this, but cholesterol is not formed by eating meat, fatty foods, etc. The body makes cholesterol when it metabolizes glucose. I.E carbs = cholesterol.

The best thing anyone can do to lower their risk of heart disease and other vascular diseases is by cutting carbs and going on high fat moderate protein diet.

Stealth
05-06-2013, 08:00 AM
I was bad this weekend.

I had a ham and cheese on a hero :-( and rice w/ steak for dinner and a beer
which put me around 120g of carbs for the day if not higher.

Whatever, it was worth a cheat day.

D-Atk
05-06-2013, 10:49 AM

Denny, I have NO idea what caused your blood clot, but if it's the cholesterol plaque clot, a Ketogenic diet lowers cholesterol significantly.

Don't listen to idiots who say fats raise cholesterol. There is literally ZERO scientific evidence of the correlation.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/low_carb_higher_fat_diets_add_no_arterial_health_r isks_to_obese_people_seeking_to_lose_weight

Here's an abstract linking high Blood Sugar levels and the occurrence of heart disease.

Also, not many people know this, but cholesterol is not formed by eating meat, fatty foods, etc. The body makes cholesterol when it metabolizes glucose. I.E carbs = cholesterol.

The best thing anyone can do to lower their risk of heart disease and other vascular diseases is by cutting carbs and going on high fat moderate protein diet.

Thanks for the info Matt, I will use this to my advantage.

My Neurologist said that we may never know exactly what caused the clot, right now one side is completely clear the other side still had some clotting but not much.

Harry
05-06-2013, 01:20 PM

I don't think anybody really knows what causes cholesterol definitively, I've had high cholesterol since I was in my early 20's, I still have it now. Every time I get a blood test my Dr. tells me I have high cholesterol. Everything else is perfect, just that. Somewhere around 6. The funny thing is, Over the last 15 years, I've changed my diet so drastically, from eat whatever I want, tons of bread, cheese, fried foods, desserts, drink all the time, even smoked for awhile, to complete strict no fat, no carbs, no sugar, no bread, no cheese, no alcohol for years, eating like a bird, excercise, basically just doing everything right, and one thing never ever changed. My cholesterol. Never went up, never went down. On my last visit last week, my doctor basically conceded it's just the amount my body produces regardless of what do about it.

The other thing is I have a lot of the good cholesterol (HDL) which they add or subtract to the total and come out with an average sort of number. It's that number that ultimately matters, so I've always been told not to worry because even though the bad is high, the good is high too and therefore I have a healthy average. This is turning out to be a load of shit too, the latest studies show that there has been no coloration between high HDL and heart disease or anything else cholesterol related. They're finding out that high HDL is only an indicator of risk, and not something that in any way makes you healthier. Just goes to show how little is known.

Stealth
05-06-2013, 02:57 PM
I think ratio is the big thing, not the actual number.

Double R
05-06-2013, 04:38 PM
I don't think anybody really knows what causes cholesterol definitively, I've had high cholesterol since I was in my early 20's, I still have it now. Every time I get a blood test my Dr. tells me I have high cholesterol. Everything else is perfect, just that. Somewhere around 6. The funny thing is, Over the last 15 years, I've changed my diet so drastically, from eat whatever I want, tons of bread, cheese, fried foods, desserts, drink all the time, even smoked for awhile, to complete strict no fat, no carbs, no sugar, no bread, no cheese, no alcohol for years, eating like a bird, excercise, basically just doing everything right, and one thing never ever changed. My cholesterol. Never went up, never went down. On my last visit last week, my doctor basically conceded it's just the amount my body produces regardless of what do about it.

The other thing is I have a lot of the good cholesterol (HDL) which they add or subtract to the total and come out with an average sort of number. It's that number that ultimately matters, so I've always been told not to worry because even though the bad is high, the good is high too and therefore I have a healthy average. This is turning out to be a load of shit too, the latest studies show that there has been no coloration between high HDL and heart disease or anything else cholesterol related. They're finding out that high HDL is only an indicator of risk, and not something that in any way makes you healthier. Just goes to show how little is known.

This is absolutely true. A ketogenic diet may not reduce cholesterol in someone who has genetically high levels. My dad is like this. He's been on cholesterol medicine for the past 20 years and he is a physical animal. He runs, bikes, and swims a combined 50 or so miles every week along with 3 to 4 days of weight training. He's also been on a pretty strict diet regimin for a long time. Mostly veggies with lean protein and little carbs, other than pre/post workout. Despite his lifestyle and diet, he'd still have insanely high cholesterol if it weren't for the medicine.

Of course, the best advice is to get regular physicals and pass everything through your doc if you can. I know a great deal about diet and exercise, but I'm not even close to being a professional.

Double R
06-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Update for June 17th

I never took pics of when I started because frankly I was too embarrassed. I let myself the fuck go. I was getting regular pussy all the time and I didn't put enough energy into being aesthetic. I was on a very dirty bulk. No fucking way I was stepping foot in St Croix looking like a Christmas ham.

Here are some I took on back on May 4th.

http://i.imgur.com/F4b7hXM.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XRna8zE.jpg

This was about a month into Keto. I still looked like a bag of dicks. Fuck.

This was taken today. I'm pleased with my process, but I still have a ways to go.

http://i.imgur.com/iz7ZdZ6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/S3C5lQc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fdH7ZU1.jpg

Leg shot that makes me look about 5'3.

http://i.imgur.com/RZUsPVs.jpg

My 36s I was snugly fitting into around April.

I used to look like this. Afghanistan cut.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/297_69661505272_9111_n.jpg

My workouts have changed some, but this is 99% keto. I took a break from p90 and started an all calisthenics workout. I did a shit load more cardio with P90X and my workouts were twice as long. Fuck that. My workouts are 30-40 mins max if I push myself that day. I haven't picked up a weight in a month.

I get my shit from here if anyone wants to take a look: www.madbarz.com

I honestly don't think I'll ever step foot in a gym again. Probably getting crossfit style squat rack with a pulllup bar/dip attachment when I get back from St Croix.

Anyway, that's my update, If I had to guess I'd say I've dropped like 20lbs or so in two months.

We're all gonna make it brahs.

Stealth
06-17-2013, 05:41 PM
id still fuck the mcfatty version

P-Spec
06-21-2013, 02:45 PM
All I was able to confirm (which I already most definitely knew) from this thread is that steady pussy is the absolute worst workout supplement ever.

sfd
06-23-2013, 08:14 PM
It's true. Getting married next year and the last year I let myself go. Slowly getting back on the grind though. Matt progress looks fantastic dude no homo.

Double R
06-25-2013, 10:08 AM
Yep. Steady pussy is very catabolic.

Double R
06-26-2013, 04:27 PM
Better side by side comparison

http://i.imgur.com/mp17U7g.jpg

P-Spec
06-27-2013, 07:56 PM
It's true. Getting married next year and the last year I let myself go. Slowly getting back on the grind though. Matt progress looks fantastic dude no homo.

It sucks even harder for me, I'm in pretty damn good shape and my gf is still in better shape than me....if I ever slip I'm gonna feel like a bag of dicks compared to her....which I guess is good enough motivation to keep it together fitness wise.