PDA

View Full Version : AT&T fuckery

veloceracing
02-14-2012, 10:41 PM
So I get a text message from AT&T telling me I'm in the top 5% of data users and will be throttled, which they did. So I went to the AT&T website and saw I'm using 2.0GB of data this month. Pretty shitty they throttle at 2GB, but I check my phone to see if the data usage is the same...phone shows 1.1GB used and I reset the counter the day my bill resets too.

Anyone have experience with this?

Cage
02-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Im going to court with them over some DSL account that i never even had with them lol . . . for some reason I have a bill sitting in collections and only have had a Uverse and Direct TV account open with them

Siegler
02-14-2012, 11:06 PM
I think it's new. A spokesman from AT&T even said they only throttled 0.5% of their top users. I'm surprised 2.0GB is considered top 5%, it's not that much...

XGRaViSmOrSX
02-14-2012, 11:10 PM
gonna be dropping ATT as soon as the sony xperia s comes out. just have to figure out which prepaid option i can work out and use google voice to save on phone bill.

EXCellR8
02-14-2012, 11:27 PM
AT&T is worthless around here, but verizon is damn expensive. I'm on their 450min/2GB data plan and I think I'm paying close to $90/mo. I like their service but the plans are pricey. I don't really live on my phone like a lot of people and 2GB should be enough but I make sure to check usage every now and then. Often times my phone wont reflect the site exactly... which is bs.

P-Spec
02-14-2012, 11:40 PM
Worst company in the world.

zedron
02-15-2012, 12:11 AM
Sprint FTW

as long as you get signal where you live.

EXCellR8
02-15-2012, 12:15 AM
I live in the fucking woods, which is at the bottom of a small valley, so there's no signal whatsoever maybe 1-bar if I'm near a window or out in the street lol. If you go up the road on either side and get to the top of the hill, full bars... all the time. FAIL

Dan
02-15-2012, 06:28 AM
I used 13gb last month :umad2:

Fkntkn
02-15-2012, 08:00 AM
I read this from another guy on Honda-tech.

I love Verizon.

civcmatt
02-15-2012, 08:58 AM
shit i normally use about 20ish GBs per month.

never been throttled either. even though VZW says they will throttle people.

Dan
02-15-2012, 09:04 AM
For you at&t guys, you can change your APN so it cap goes away.

The speeds might not max out as fast, but it will be a lot faster then the throttle speed.

Das Kapitalist
02-15-2012, 09:19 AM
Verizon is the least shitty.

veloceracing
02-15-2012, 09:27 AM
Stealth explain this apn voodoo.

ISPKI
02-16-2012, 02:17 AM
I avg around 3ish a month. I pay about 70$

95civicex
02-16-2012, 02:29 AM
shit i normally use about 20ish GBs per month.

never been throttled either. even though VZW says they will throttle people.
Yeah, but you work for Verizon...you have some voodoo going on. lol
J/K, I use a shit-ton of data on Verizon and have never been throttled....also grandfathered on the unlimited data

Verizon is the least shitty.
about the only way you can pick a wireless company anymore....lesser of 2 (or maybe 3) evils

Dan
02-16-2012, 08:47 AM
2gb is way to little if you stream music or video.

Bad Brain
02-16-2012, 11:33 AM
Verizon fucked me out of my unlimited plan off some bullshit technicality, so now I've got the $30/4gb plan. I've never even broke 3gb so i don't think it'll be a problem, but id rather have unlimited just in case and since i should be entitled to it.

I had the OG Droid for 2 years w/ unlimited, that finally broke a week before the Droid Razr was released, so i upgraded to the Droid Razr and my unlimited plan grandfathered over fine. I had a ton of problems with the Razr, from battery life to chronic dropped data coverage, so i returned it and decided to wait for the Nexus which was supposed to be coming out a couple weeks later. My OG Droid was broken and i needed a phone to at least get calls and texts in the meantime, so they told me to bring in any old phone i had and they could activate it. So i activated an old flip phone and used that for 2-3 weeks and then got the Nexus the day it came out.

Apparently since i wasnt using a data plan for the 14-21 days i had the flip phone activated, i "forfeited" my unlimited plan so it no longer grandfathered over. If i just left my broken og droid activated then apparently i would have been fine. Or if Verizon didnt keep pushing the release date of the Nexus back i would have only had the flip phone activated for 10-14 days and still would have gotten the unlimited plan grandfathered. The way they handled that release was a huge shitfest clusterfuck, and as a loyal customer for going on 10 years to be shit on like that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Verizon can suck my fucking dick, and i really hate that im basically their bitch and have to just take it since there is no real competition.

Punisher11
02-16-2012, 03:13 PM
the question is they knew this was coming. release of the iphone, and knowing the possible future capabilities (most of which, like video chat, streaming video were already out in other countries) that they decided to this now.

its almost the equiv of taking a road trip 500 mile, no gas stations along the way, telling everybody we gonna floor it till about 200 miles, then go 5mph for the rest of the way.

and everyday someone is coming up with better ways to use mobile internet, yet no one is trying how to provide us better mobile internet

Dan
02-16-2012, 04:48 PM
It's real messed up they throttle you to the point were it's useless.

56k speeds is retarded, even more so the fact that now if you want texting, it's ONLY unlimited or Pay per use.

EXCellR8
02-16-2012, 04:53 PM
I think i may have to up to 4GB because I just got my phone and I already used almost a quarter of the data. I thought I was connected to a Wi-Fi hotspot when I started streaming Pandora but that wasn't the case lol.

oh and Android 5.0 may be coming soon... http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120215PD209.html

civcmatt
02-16-2012, 05:42 PM
limited data plans FTL....hopefully itll be like text messaging, where it started unlimited, then was charge per amount and is back up to unlimited again.

EXCellR8
02-16-2012, 10:04 PM
unlimited was a little too pricey i'm not even that happy with paying the 2GB plan lol. i didn't want to pay a premium for unlimited talk, text and web when i would probably only be using a few gigs per month anyway. i don't really live on my phone like a lot of people do and i really only need to actually talk at work and with customers. last month i had a whopping 26 minutes of talk time and like 500 text messages lol. i like being able to use the network during the day if i need to and having the ability to check email, bank accounts, and sales. i don't have a facebook acct. and a lot of places i work have Wi-Fi connectivity.

Tony_YYZ
02-16-2012, 10:25 PM
I have an ATT sim which I pop into my BB when I come to the states. I drop calls on it constantly. That's if I can stay in coverage for more than 5 minutes.

91integrs
02-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Nexer heard any good things about AT&T, then again I have T-mobile and there is no bragging there. On a family paln with my gf 700 minutes a month, unlimited text and data usage for around $140 a month. I hardly use the data plan, so I don't even come close to 2MB.

Stealth
02-18-2012, 10:14 PM
I have no issues with my andriod on at&t.

People seem to think carriers are supposed to be 100% perfect. If you understood the technology behind it, you would see it's not the easiest thing to supply service to vast amounts of areas.
While some do it better then other, they aren't perfect, but they should be treated like they are supposed to be either.

Tony_YYZ
02-19-2012, 07:00 PM
Used my ATT sim today and it worked surprisingly well. I was shocked.

civcmatt
02-19-2012, 07:12 PM
I have no issues with my andriod on at&t.

People seem to think carriers are supposed to be 100% perfect. If you understood the technology behind it, you would see it's not the easiest thing to supply service to vast amounts of areas.
While some do it better then other, they aren't perfect, but they should be treated like they are supposed to be either.

yeah it is very difficult, and really nothing is 100%....however, being in the field, you have to make your customers happy, and what makes them happy is not dropping calls and shit all the time, so you better be putting your money into the network to back that shit up. cuz without a good working product....all you have is the iPhone, haha.

i know for a fact that VZDub puts a SHIIIIIIITTTTTT ton of money into the network every year. they just upped it from 4billion a year to 5billion a year in maintaining and upgrading their network. thats a lot of money but thats also why for the most part its more reliable than others, it also helps too that (from what ive heard i dunno how true it is) but ive heard that CDMA can hold more users at one time than GSM can.) ive also heard that CDMA has a better soft hand off process from switching tower to tower.....where GSM has the ability to handle way faster speeds and penitrate buildings better (that was until VZDub bought their new spectrum, which is LTE, which is GSM....makes sense). ya win some and you lose some i suppose with everything.

Punisher11
02-25-2012, 07:10 PM
http://9to5mac.com/2012/02/24/if-att-throttles-you-are-you-entitled-to-850-2/#more-141132

:yea: