PDA

View Full Version : Waxing Philosophic

XGRaViSmOrSX
02-15-2012, 01:15 AM
This can be a thread we use to post up different philosophical ideas and discuss them. Try to take it one topic at a time and lets try to be civil about it. FFS

First topic:

where did the origin of life on earth come from?

c_morse
02-15-2012, 01:31 AM
Aliens.

:umad2:

I don't believe in divine design, at least not by the definition the church would like to stick to. Much the same way that the universe is believed to have "sparked" into being, so goes life on this planet.

XGRaViSmOrSX
02-15-2012, 01:39 AM
yea, im also in belief that it was extraterrestrial but more on the side of it being organisms/spores on asteroids that landed here and eventually evolved into life that we know today.

c_morse
02-15-2012, 01:48 AM
But then that gets to the issue of where did those come from, as they're classified as life as well.

At some point, maybe on this planet, the conditions were perfect and life just kind of began.

XGRaViSmOrSX
02-15-2012, 01:58 AM
if we were talking about origin of life in the universe which i suppose would be the next step from life on earth, than the asteroid explanation would definitely have to be taken further. But as it pertains to earth it doesn't really matter where the spark for life comes from, so long as it arrived.

c_morse
02-15-2012, 01:59 AM
Damn, we reached sticky status already.

nhlfan
02-15-2012, 03:07 AM
What's been a bit of a mindfuck for me lately is why really basic living organisms "want" to stay alive, if that makes any sense. As humans, we can rationalize a bit and say that we enjoy living, get pleasure out of being around our loved ones, and pursuing our hobbies. Even for mammals and more complex organisms, I can understand a sort of animalistic will to survive and propagate the species.

But where did that drive originate from? How did that tendency to self-replicate and persist originally come into being out of just some strings of amino acids?

It's blowing my fucking mind.

Das Kapitalist
02-15-2012, 08:27 AM
What's been a bit of a mindfuck for me lately is why really basic living organisms "want" to stay alive, if that makes any sense. As humans, we can rationalize a bit and say that we enjoy living, get pleasure out of being around our loved ones, and pursuing our hobbies. Even for mammals and more complex organisms, I can understand a sort of animalistic will to survive and propagate the species.

But where did that drive originate from? How did that tendency to self-replicate and persist originally come into being out of just some strings of amino acids?

It's blowing my fucking mind.

Well, if you consider that early self-replicating molecules needed certain conditions to be met for their chemistry to occur, and these molecules will sort of "evolve" over time to be able to do this easier and in a wider variety of conditions, it's no stretch to say that all life is essentially based on this behavior at its core. The fact that instincts and other biological responses are built around this is no surprise.

Fkntkn
02-15-2012, 10:10 AM
I believe in God and that he created everything. It's just how I feel, sorry to all of the non-believers.

c_morse
02-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Yep, the earth is 4000 years old.

Naloxone
02-15-2012, 11:37 AM
definitely with r/atheism on this one..

XGRaViSmOrSX
02-15-2012, 04:27 PM
I believe in God and that he created everything. It's just how I feel, sorry to all of the non-believers.

who created god..? at the end of the day god still had to come to being and even than the mystery still remains. isn't it easier to think that god was created by humans and that we don't really exist outside of the realm of our own being.

Fkntkn
02-15-2012, 06:14 PM
who created god..? at the end of the day god still had to come to being and even than the mystery still remains. isn't it easier to think that god was created by humans and that we don't really exist outside of the realm of our own being.

We all have different beliefs son. People believe in god for reasons of events in the bible, just like non-believers don't believe because of other scientific facts. I'm not going to go back and forth.

Cyrax
02-15-2012, 10:01 PM
This thread I like.

What's been a bit of a mindfuck for me lately is why really basic living organisms "want" to stay alive, if that makes any sense. As humans, we can rationalize a bit and say that we enjoy living, get pleasure out of being around our loved ones, and pursuing our hobbies.

I have been pondering this as well. It's the old nature vs nurture conundrum. Biological predispositions aside, what keeps the majority of the populace content with the "daily grind" of life? Is it the acquisition of items of interest, travel/attainment of knowledge, offspring, belief in deities?

PiZzO
02-16-2012, 11:03 PM

Naloxone
02-17-2012, 03:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO1a1Ek-HD0

Das Kapitalist
02-17-2012, 04:03 PM
Awesome vid, but evolution and abiogenesis are very different things.

People can believe in evolution while believing that the origin of life itself was sparked by a creator.

Bad Brain
02-17-2012, 05:51 PM
I'm pretty agnostic. I don't think there is a god but i also have to accept the possibility since that theory can never be proved or disproved by its nature. I think regardless of what anyone chooses to believe or not believe, the fact is we are all agnostic since we all have the same knowledge (or lack thereof) which is that we really don't know. We're all on the same level playing field in terms of that.

Naloxone
02-17-2012, 07:25 PM

People can believe in evolution while believing that the origin of life itself was sparked by a creator.

Absolutely, but I think it's safe to say the majority of fundamentalist religious people believe in neither.

The point of the video is that not only is evolution the most widely studied and reproducible biological theory to date, it also flies in the face of intelligent design. No creator, or engineer as Dawkins points out, would design a nerve like that.

FlyingHonda
02-21-2012, 09:36 PM
fuck our origin. how the fuck do they do to produce so many million transistors into a microchip?

XGRaViSmOrSX
03-27-2012, 11:47 AM
fuck our origin. how the fuck do they do to produce so many million transistors into a microchip?

technology.

i would love to live forever purely for the sole reason of just watching humanity grow and expand beyond earth. assuming we can stop worrying about petty bullshit that we created and just focus on the betterment of us as a species instead of a culture.

Naloxone
03-27-2012, 03:39 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ifImX.png

XGRaViSmOrSX
03-27-2012, 10:25 PM
ugh, religion class sucked a dick. Haven't been in a church since my confirmation :lol: fuck that noise

besides most christians are fucking hypocrites. "We love jesus but don't practice any of his teachings, or only the ones that we care about at the moment" yuck.

overide
03-28-2012, 08:02 AM
+1

I still think evolution happened. I don't believe the bible word for word.

ugh, religion class sucked a dick. Haven't been in a church since my confirmation :lol: fuck that noise

besides most christians are fucking hypocrites. "We love jesus but don't practice any of his teachings, or only the ones that we care about at the moment" yuck.

This is why I don't go to church. That and I like to drink on Saturday night so Sunday morning is not ususally a pretty sight for me. Lol

Fkntkn
03-28-2012, 09:57 AM

everyone on this earth is a hypocrite in one way or another, including myself and you son. But LOL @ giving an entire religious base shit for something you are yourself.

I curse, drink, have pre-marital sex, and many other things I'm sure God looks down upon.....but at the end of the day I have always felt if I did the right thing, helped people out, and was overall a good person, then I'd get to where I need to be when I die.

FlyingHonda
03-28-2012, 08:52 PM
the whole problem with religion for me is that the bible was written by humans. and there is just too much fantasy in it for me to believe things happened.

XGRaViSmOrSX
03-28-2012, 09:56 PM
everyone on this earth is a hypocrite in one way or another, including myself and you son. But LOL @ giving an entire religious base shit for something you are yourself.

I curse, drink, have pre-marital sex, and many other things I'm sure God looks down upon.....but at the end of the day I have always felt if I did the right thing, helped people out, and was overall a good person, then I'd get to where I need to be when I die.

sorry to bring in a reddit pictomeme but THIS is the type of hypocritical bullshit im talking about.

http://i.imgur.com/UxJ8q.jpg

The fact that people like this exist, is just absolutely mind blowing. it's 2012 not 546AD. Be a hypocrite all you want but don't let your personal moral beliefs and convictions start to dictate how i can live my life. I wasn't born with the preconceived notion that god exists and the bible is the truth and testament, i was indoctrinated by society and those around me because it was "the right thing to do".

Religion started as a simplistic fairy tale to help humans try to explain that which we didn't yet understand, from that it became a way for those in power to control the masses out of fear of punishment after death. (even the catholics took centuries to get the story right, ie. council of nicea, constantinople...etc.) since no one knows what happens after death, anyone with a theory as to what happens and has a good enough story can join the ring. until we truly know what happens in death my mind just can't allow me to blindly follow the teachings that were made up, by other men.

What makes them the knowers of the truth? How many other religions and dieties have come and gone, only to be forgotten. Where are those people..? a different heaven/hell? what if their form of belief didn't have a traditional heaven/hell? There are just too many contradictions and differing beliefs for anyone to dare claim they are correct and to be honest, no religion/religious leader has ever performed anything even close to some of the amazing things science/human will power has enabled us to do.

Double R
03-28-2012, 09:58 PM
Stupid people will always exist.

XGRaViSmOrSX
03-28-2012, 10:04 PM
Stupid people will always exist.

yes, and even more so thanks to advances in modern medicine :lol:

my problem isnt so much with stupid people but stubborn people who could know better if they would just stop being so prejudiced, or closed minded because "that's the way it is" No, it's fucking not. the world isn't bumblefuck arkansas, so stop acting like they have the pulse on what the rest of the modern world thinks.

plus whatever happened to you don't like it, don't watch it? why does every person in society today feel the need to press their moral agenda on other people as if their morals are the correct ones and everyone else is wrong....FFFUUUUU

FlyingHonda
03-28-2012, 10:10 PM
i like turtles