PDA

View Full Version : whos got a Android Phone????

civcmatt
02-19-2012, 07:16 PM
does anyone else have to reset that bitch every month? its like my phone has a Period....every month starts acting like a bitch....reset her and shes fine.

if iPhones could multitask and get free apps like the droid (and were 4g) it might be time to switch.......but i just cant do it.

anyone else have to do that shit? or is it just me?

EXCellR8
02-19-2012, 07:44 PM
i guts one, teh droid razr

download that Fast Reboot or whatever it is... works pretty good. usually it's just the background apps that cause it to become slow. pretty sure it was free too

civcmatt
02-19-2012, 07:49 PM
i have a task killer.....and i kill the apps all the time. also pulling the batt and resetting that mofo should take care of that. but after a little everything jsut starts to go to shit. after a wipe, works fine for about a month of two then same ish.

how you like the droid Razr.....they are doing BOGO on them right now....been THINNKKin about having my dad upgrade and then jacking the free one lol. but its a moto..so its prolly the same shit as my bionic just super thin with no batt life at all.

EXCellR8
02-19-2012, 07:56 PM
i like it alot actually, and the MAXX version has the best mobile battery available atm... 3300mAh or some shit like that, which is awesome.

i didn't want a moto either but it was between the nexus and the droid razr maxx... razr won due to SD capability, better camera, and of course the huge battery (which is almost 2x the capacity of the regular one). only downside is u can't remove the battery (hence having to use fast reboot if it gets slow) but I haven't really had the need to. other than that it's not quite as slim due to them stuffing that batt in there but comparing it to the regular droid razr it's a little easier to hold. it takes awhile to charge up but then it will last 2-3 days depending on how much you use internets and 4G etc etc. overall i like it though and Google/Motorola stated that Android 4.0 would become available for it soon.

here's the AnandTech review on it if you're interested: Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX (http://www.anandtech.com/show/5533/motorola-droid-razr-maxx-review-18x-the-battery)

Tony_YYZ
02-19-2012, 08:13 PM
That's pretty much a given for all smartphones.

Das Kapitalist
02-19-2012, 08:44 PM
It's usually the manufacturer skins that cause problems. Motoblur is ridiculously heavy on resources. I'd root and install one of the many 3rd party ROMs out there.

Stealth
02-19-2012, 09:15 PM
Any Motorola I remove motoblur. That shit doesn't even work for locating the phone 1/2 the time

EXCellR8
02-20-2012, 12:04 AM
Yea I have no idea what that is...

Das Kapitalist
02-20-2012, 08:29 AM
Yea I have no idea what that is...

Motoblur is the 'customized' version of Android that Motorola puts on their phones. It's like when you buy a Dell and it comes preloaded with all that bloatware, but 10x worse.

Bad Brain
02-20-2012, 09:57 AM
I've had the nexus since December with no problems, although I've heard of some people with nexus' that were rebooting themselves alot and they just swapped out for a new one.

Also task killers actually make things worse, there are hundreds of articles on why but it's a common misconception that task killers benefit phone performance/battery life.

http://m.lifehacker.com/5650894/android-task-killers-explained-what-they-do-and-why-you-shouldnt-use-them

civcmatt
02-20-2012, 12:04 PM
ya i think im done with motoblur.....i think next phone imma go with something besides motorola.......

had bionic for like 6 months...upgrade in march...........hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmm hahahahahhahaha

HunteR
02-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Ive had very similar experiences with my samsung galaxy S. It brings me back to memories of windows of the olden days. After a fresh clean install everything is snappy and fast, looks beautiful and always works. However a few months into it, once all the apps you want are installed and the phone is set up the way you want, everything goes to shit. The phone freezes all the time, shit is constantly force closing, the battery life is shit. It just doesnt have a very refined feeling - you have to tinker with custom roms and rooting and other nonsense just to get it to work reliably. Ive never had an iPhone, but it to my uneducated view it seems iphones are just more refined and tested for bugs than android phones. Im strongly considering an iphone for my next smart phone.

Das Kapitalist
02-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Ive had very similar experiences with my samsung galaxy S. It brings me back to memories of windows of the olden days. After a fresh clean install everything is snappy and fast, looks beautiful and always works. However a few months into it, once all the apps you want are installed and the phone is set up the way you want, everything goes to shit. The phone freezes all the time, shit is constantly force closing, the battery life is shit. It just doesnt have a very refined feeling - you have to tinker with custom roms and rooting and other nonsense just to get it to work reliably. Ive never had an iPhone, but it to my uneducated view it seems iphones are just more refined and tested for bugs than android phones. Im strongly considering an iphone for my next smart phone.

Well, the iPhone is a single platform with tight controls whereas Android is quite open.

The iOS experience is straightforward and customization is very limited, but you'll get a repeatable, for the most part solid user experience. Android is for people who like a whole slew of options and tend to be more for power users, though options exist for casual types too. The main issue with Android basically lies with carriers who demand that device manufacturers create custom ROMs for "differentiation", which really hampers the device manufacturers ability to put out OTA updates in a timely fashion.

Bad Brain
02-20-2012, 01:09 PM
Ive always had Android and i like it and all, but im not into rooting and all that. My main deterrents from the iphone are screen size and no removable battery. If they had an iphone with a 4.3-4.5" screen and a removable battery (or a battery like that of the Razr Maxx) then i would probably get one

Das Kapitalist
02-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Ive always had Android and i like it and all, but im not into rooting and all that. My main deterrents from the iphone are screen size and no removable battery. If they had an iphone with a 4.3-4.5" screen and a removable battery (or a battery like that of the Razr Maxx) then i would probably get one

Yeah, it's not for everyone. I told my mom to get an iPhone because I didn't want to be doing remote tech support every weekend when she can't figure out how to do something.

95civicex
02-20-2012, 02:24 PM
Google/Motorola stated that Android 4.0 would become available for it soon.

Except not really (http://techland.time.com/2012/02/15/motorola-says-your-ice-cream-sandwich-upgrade-isnt-coming-soon/)

civcmatt
02-20-2012, 02:37 PM
ya i like my android...but sometimes it does suck to wipe it every so often. but its because its an open OS but eh?

i root my phones but i dont do custom roms and shit on it. maybe im just tired of Motoblur

Das Kapitalist
02-20-2012, 02:54 PM
ya i like my android...but sometimes it does suck to wipe it every so often. but its because its an open OS but eh?

i root my phones but i dont do custom roms and shit on it. maybe im just tired of Motoblur

There are plenty of ROMs out there that are very close to vanilla Android, but with a few usability and performance tweaks. They'll improve your battery life and performance greatly.

EXCellR8
02-20-2012, 03:17 PM
There are plenty of ROMs out there that are very close to vanilla Android, but with a few usability and performance tweaks. They'll improve your battery life and performance greatly.

is this what you're talking about?

http://droidrazrroot.com/droid-razr-roms/razrx-rom-for-rooted-droid-razr/

civcmatt
02-20-2012, 04:30 PM
ya ill have to look into some new ROMs....never had an interest in uploading new ROMS but maybe its time

civcmatt
02-22-2012, 07:44 PM
so i looked into some roms and ish, and i found some Ice Cream Sammy that would load up and no BLUR bloatware on it, but the Camera wouldnt work...brand new baby...i want some camera action.

so i ordered a replacement phone, rooted that bitch, and started looking up which software i could remove. just spent the better part of 2 hours at work removing close to 100 items off the phone that i didnt use. most of the Vcast stuff (some wouldnt remove for some reason) and a TON of blur stuff, like the facebook, twitter, etc, music app, (since i use Google Music)

Results....holy cow prolly 5 times faster and now my keyboard doesnt suck!

Tony_YYZ
02-22-2012, 11:49 PM
so i looked into some roms and ish, and i found some Ice Cream Sammy that would load up and no BLUR bloatware on it, but the Camera wouldnt work...brand new baby...i want some camera action.

so i ordered a replacement phone, rooted that bitch, and started looking up which software i could remove. just spent the better part of 2 hours at work removing close to 100 items off the phone that i didnt use. most of the Vcast stuff (some wouldnt remove for some reason) and a TON of blur stuff, like the facebook, twitter, etc, music app, (since i use Google Music)

nice

Das Kapitalist
02-23-2012, 08:25 AM

:awyeah:

Congrats on your new, non-shitified device!

civcmatt
02-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Haha ya its 100x better. Only issue I have is I think I deleted the screen time out so if I don't press the button the screen stays on haha. Oh well

Das Kapitalist
02-23-2012, 02:36 PM
lol

You should be able to adjust it in the system settings under display.

Stealth
02-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Good stuff

itdiestoday
02-23-2012, 05:25 PM
Currently using the Samsung Skyrocket. Battery life has me pretty shitty about it. LTE drains battery stupid fast.

Running a custom rom called venom. Decent.

civcmatt
02-23-2012, 05:50 PM
lol

You should be able to adjust it in the system settings under display.

i actually fixed it. for whatever reason this phones settings changed when i did some stuff.....it stopped roating when turned sideways...got kiinda scured..but the auto rotate setting wasnt checked.....so that fixed it..then i just toggled the time out setting and it fixed it as well..

Batt life has improved as well. i didnt have to charge my phone until 2pm today. :lol:

but ya LTE rapes batts big time.

EXCellR8
02-23-2012, 05:57 PM
i have a screen auto-rotate bug w. my new phone; i can't figure out what causes it. i know that the option is ticked but simply re-enabling doesn't fix it. the only way to get it to turn the phone completely off and then back on... which of course is a pain in the ass. apps that need the horizontal screen will still force it to rotate but otherwise it's stuck vertically. i gotta blame blur for that i guess but right now i'm not rooting so i gotta live with it. other than that it's been fine i just gotta figure out what's causing the screen to lock.

where can i find a list of things to remove, or do i need to have a custom ROM for that? gah i fucking hate being a noob lol

civcmatt
02-23-2012, 06:32 PM
so first you have to root your phone. there are droid 1 click roots out there that make it really easy. since your fairly tech savy it shouldnt be hard for ya. its a .Bat file that does the Exc for you.

after that you have to download a program called Root Explorer that allows you into the system applications and edit them. it costs money on the Market, or if you go to www.4shared.com and search for it you can find it for free there.

after that follow these sites to figure out how to move them to your SD card. read the description on some of hem so incase there is something you use that you dont delete it....for example: i deleted the Music app that comes with the phone, but since i use Google Music i dont need it. i use the alarm clock, so i kept that. so just read and be smart about it.

No extra ROM needed.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/bionic-rooting-roms-hacks/117820-droid-bionic-apps-safe-remove-once-rooted.html

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/5385-bionic-apk-list/

EXCellR8
02-23-2012, 07:37 PM
cool i might have to do a bit of tinkering, there's def one or two things on there that i know i will never use. thx for the info

i'm using the google music thing too and it works pretty nice... just too bad i have way to much music to fit on there lol

civcmatt
02-25-2012, 01:14 AM
I uploaded a ton then at worked deleted all I don't want while bored at work. Worked pretty well