PDA

View Full Version : Review: Frog Lube CLP

eNder
02-23-2012, 06:30 PM
So one of my paintball buddies got to talking about lubes and he suggested Frog Lube CLP. I've been using break free CLP spray can version and it literally "breaks free" from my hand when im handling my handgun. So i decided to give this a shot. It's on its way from midwayusa.com and will provide a review after i clean my filthy sig saur p226r with it. Here's a picture of it:422

<!--- begin Edit

So i cleaned my very filthy Sig Sauer P226. The extractor was filthy and really caked to the point where i'm surprised that it extracted anything. The routine in cleaning my p226 is usually a bore snake immediately after shooting. I run it 3-4 times and place it back into my case.

After breaking everything down to it's respective pieces. I shook the bottle well to mix up whatever was inside of it. I only used 2-3 drops on a clean patch. and immediately went to work on the guide rod. It picked up a lot of carbon and immediately gave off a "minty" smell. After wiping it done the piece had a nice film of lubricant on it not too slippery.

The next piece i went on to was the slide. This was pretty filthy as well. With carbon deposits everywhere you can imagine along with a little copper fouling on the ramp. As i went to town again i only used 2-3 drops on a clean patch and just used that to get into every nook and cranny. It was a pleasant operation as the odor of minty freshness emitted form my slide. But the thing i noticed is that, even with 2-3 drops on the clean patch it seemed like a magnet attracting all that carbon. It even picked up little pieces of copper that i don't know where it picked it up from. I saw this on the patch as i was cleaning. I didnt put much physical effort when wiping the slide down.I only used the patch holder from my cleaning kit to get into the nooks and crannies. But even then it picked up everything very easily. When it came to the extractor where there was a decent buildup of carbon i placed 2-3 drops of froglube on my copper brush and went to town. Un-surprisingly it did not take much for the build up to go away. I took another white patch and cleaned up any excess and left parts with a light coat of frog lube. I placed a drop on another patch to run against the rails lightly.

Next up was the barrel. This is where i really wanted to see its worth. Usually with break free CLP aerosole can version it takes awhile for the barrel to come out clean. Again, i placed 2-3 drops on a bore patch and ran it through with my brass pole. It picked up a very good amount of filth. Here's the surprising part. I used 3 dry bore patches through the barrel and they all came out clean. I was surprised by this so i ran another wet bore patch just to make sure, and sure enough it was clean as a whistle. This surprised me the most as usually it takes a bit from break free clp to achieve that.

Next up was the frame itself. Well if you get to this point, you probably know where i'm going with it. It really picked up everything. From carbon to copper it just either dissolved it or picked it up like a magnet.

After cleaning all the parts i noticed that my firearm was not overly lubricated. As i handled it it did not feel as if the gun would slip out of my hands. There was a nice slick finish to my gun, reminding me of the time when i first picked up my firearm from the dealer. Overall i'm very happy with this product. It allowed me to clean my firearm in my living room without the fear of getting any harmful chemical in my eyes or in my hands. The product was safe to handle and wasn't rough on my hands. I wasn't afraid of touching my face after using this product. It left a nice finish to my firearm and it still lubricates everything it touches and picked up everything that was not supposed to be in the gun.

Now the real test is out on the field. Apparently after using froglube it leaves such an anti friction coat that muzzle velocities are supposedly increased 3-12 percent because of how slick it is in the barrel. In addition it supposedly tightened up shot groupings after use. This is how supposedly its done:

Apply a sparing amount of FrogLube™ to glide and friction points before operation. After firing, when the barrel is hot, is a good time to insert a generous amount of FrogLube™ into the barrel as the heat will accelerate the absorption into the pores of the metal. After treatment, you will notice a marked reduction in friction. It is not necessary to do this after every use, but should be done at regular intervals. You should ensure the excess FrogLube™ is removed by running a bore patch through the bore until it is clean and smooth.

I have yet to run my firearm after cleaning. I will probably do that tomorrow at the range. Stand by for that. For now A+ product. Will buy again and will use for all my firearms.
end Edit --->

Punisher11
02-23-2012, 07:14 PM
I saw this stuff in white plains gunshow, but its a bit thick. remember that barrel cleaner stuff i had for paintball? it seems to be the same viscosity (like dish soap), it also seperated from each other (its a liquid and like a thickier liquid).

the gunzilla i picked up was more manageable, that was they only reason i went with that over this. also i hear it has a minty smell

eNder
02-23-2012, 07:43 PM
I saw this stuff in white plains gunshow, but its a bit thick. remember that barrel cleaner stuff i had for paintball? it seems to be the same viscosity (like dish soap), it also seperated from each other (its a liquid and like a thickier liquid).

the gunzilla i picked up was more manageable, that was they only reason i went with that over this. also i hear it has a minty smell

Orb was telling me that its a bit thicker so when the gun runs hot he permeates into the metal. So that got me curious.

Punisher11
02-23-2012, 09:03 PM
Orb was telling me that its a bit thicker so when the gun runs hot he permeates into the metal. So that got me curious.

well as long as it doesnt bukkake you while you are shooting

eNder
03-05-2012, 03:44 PM
This thing is amazing. It really broke down the built up carbon in my gun. I havent cleaned my pistol in a really long time and it really went to work on it. I'll edit my original post sometime tonight to summarize what i found out. But i really love the stuff, and it smells good to boot.

Punisher11
03-17-2012, 07:24 PM
so ender let me use the frog lube. I cleaned up my 1911 (still dirty from the match) cleaned nicely, but i previously cleaned it with gunzilla (so im not sure if that had any effect) anyway, barrel is still a bit fouled, but i think its my OCD with that barrel trying to remove ever bit of carbon/lead/copper/caked powder that has been through the gun. Everywhere else cleaned nicely. I didnt do the sun bake/ hair dryer method, but i soaked the barrel in 192 deg water (Thanks keurig!), while it was hot, i poured in a bit of FL and scrubbed with rod. i noticed that it did help release some more grime. i scrubbed it more, ran patch still had some residue, but i think ill stop scrubbing at this point (for now). I do enjoy its minty smell, but im still wondering how much more effective this stuff is to others as it did get everything just as clean. I noticed that as the barrel cooled off, it did coagulate as Costa said it would, but further reading suggests that this should be wiped off as it can cause rust ( big ?!?)

further check in AR15.com suggests that Slip 2000 EWL, is a different yet equal CLP when compared to FL, http://www.slip2000.com/slip2000-EWL.html . the other thing i read is that frog lube doesnt play well with other petrol based lube (supposedly if you apply it, FL rejects it by letting it run off the gun) not sure how that is, but if that is the case, it just rendered my field kit almost useless in terms of the chemicals i bring. Given the amount of FL i used on the one hand gun, I could run a smaller applicator for the field. I like doing this as I package my kits to have a dual tip bronze brush, a sharp dental type implement, bore snake, and some sort of All in one (AIO) aka CLP. Im probably still going to have to do more evaluations, as a fully treated gun in FL requires 3 cleanings. at this time i did not grease the rails like i normally do when finishing my 1911 cleaning (im wondering if paste takes care of this job).

Next month I will again use mother russian ammo, and my reloads giving it exposure to both FMJ and lead rounds in hopes that i can effectively run the gun using 1 product