PDA

View Full Version : Cheap....but yet good ammo

boofthese
03-11-2012, 02:27 AM
I know i should probably just get online and pick whats best but i figured i would ask the gun nuts here first.

Saw the tula 900rnd pack (9mm) at gandermountain for 250$ wondering if anyone has used it and what they think...also looking into getting into reloading

boofthese
03-11-2012, 02:32 AM
Right now i have a springfield 1911-a1 and a steyr 9mm. Was also wondering what should be my first mod to my 1911 ? full length guide rod ? trigger ?

And whats a good personal protection round ? for either of the 2. I know its asking a lot of questions in one thread but figured i would keep it centralized into one thread

civcmatt
03-11-2012, 01:42 PM
pretty much any hollowpoint with a bit higher grain count will be good for personal protection.

900 rounds for 250? thats pretty good.

that steel casing is DIRTY as FUCK. it looks a lot like the Wolf Ammo, ive used a box of that. shot fine, but just made my gun dirty as shit. so i would use it for just target practice and wasting ammo, but clean the shit outta it after.

Punisher11
03-11-2012, 06:57 PM
i shot the 45 auto tula ammo in competition today, yes its dirty, but its good burner ammo

for defense i use winchester pdx, its expensive, but it expands nicely

eNder
03-11-2012, 08:09 PM
caleb giddings is doing a steel ammo (tulammo) test over on gunnuts.net .

ISPKI
03-11-2012, 08:23 PM
I learned from personal experience that this ammo can and will jam inside the firing chamber of your gun at some point. It has jammed up my friend's ar15 three times in two trips to the range before got rid of the rest of his stock. Also - I have read that most of this ammo has a steel wrapped lead core, which could be an issue at some ranges, especially indoor.

Punisher11
03-11-2012, 09:26 PM
I learned from personal experience that this ammo can and will jam inside the firing chamber of your gun at some point. It has jammed up my friend's ar15 three times in two trips to the range before got rid of the rest of his stock. Also - I have read that most of this ammo has a steel wrapped lead core, which could be an issue at some ranges, especially indoor.

has to be the rifle ammo... i ran the pistol ammo with no problems

ISPKI
03-11-2012, 11:18 PM
We had the same issues with their 9mm kurz! You may not run into an issue after only 50 rounds or 100 rounds or 200 rounds. Hell, maybe you wont run into an issue with the ammo ever, I am just stating the problems my friend and I had.

Punisher11
03-11-2012, 11:27 PM
We had the same issues with their 9mm kurz! You may not run into an issue after only 50 rounds or 100 rounds or 200 rounds. Hell, maybe you wont run into an issue with the ammo ever, I am just stating the problems my friend and I had.

no no, i hear you... im just wondering if there are problems outside the ammo.

ISPKI
03-12-2012, 12:02 AM
I doubt it. That phrase "You get what you pay for" is almost always accurate. We had members of our other forum tell us not to use that ammo due to jamming issues and we scoffed at them due to the fact we hadnt had many issues with it as of a couple years ago. Now that we have decent careers and extra money, we go to the range more often and shoot more ammo when we go, which is where we started running into the jams. I am wondering if the coating rubs off and builds up after a couple hundred rounds. If you do not run into issues with it, then you should just keep using it, but, mark my words, it will jam your gun EVENTUALLY, and when it does, its a huge pain in the grundle.

civcmatt
03-12-2012, 10:22 AM
i think it depends....ive run easy 2000-3000 rounds through my Lugar 9MM, and it has only not fired on me once, and it was the bullet. ive run maybe 25 steel cased rounds in it, i shot them very quickly and it never jammed on me or anything. however my wifes P238 jams all the time....might be something wrong with your gun like Punisher said.

point im trying to make is if it jams once out of 300 rounds.....is that so bad?

and if its due to the buildup....then clean your gun after each trip like you shoul be anyways and it should eliminate that issue.

my friends father in law bought steel casing for his AR15, and it did jam every so often. but i dnt see it being a huge pain in the grundle as you put it, just pull the slide back, fish it out, 5 seconds later your shooting again.

eNder
03-12-2012, 06:17 PM
not to mention caleb giddings is doing like a 2-3 thousand round test on gunnuts.net in a glock 21? i think?im too lazy to check.

ISPKI
03-13-2012, 03:12 AM
The guns are all in relatively excellent condition, and we have a cleaning party after each trip to the range, so it cant be building up between trips. The jam we are encountering in the AR15 must be completely different from what your friend's father experienced. In our case, the shell is adhering to the inside of the chamber, like, superglue sort of adhering. We cannot pull the slide back as the bolt is still locked onto the rim of the case. Since the bolt cannot be pulled back, the receiver cannot be taken apart (we can pull the pins out, but cannot separate the upper/lower). He even tried dislodging the case with the forward assist, but even that cant move it. The only solution we found was to slide a steel rod gently down the barrel, into the empty shell and smack the end of the rod with a hammer until it breaks loose.

What bugs us is that we used to shoot steel cased wolf ammo out of it and never had this issue, even after putting many thousands of rounds down range. Then, we start shooting this shit and get a jam after 5 boxes = /