PDA

View Full Version : Reload Supplies

zedron
03-12-2012, 10:54 AM
Any of you reload ammunition? If so, where the best place to get your stock from? By this I mean cheap yet have a decent selection.

Punisher11
03-12-2012, 11:11 AM
what you looking for?

for cases forums are usually best, that or dumpster diving at the range

for bullets, lead is cheapest, but the down side is the cleaning, and possible smoke due to lube... depending on the application (target, defense, paper) I can reccomend a few companies

powders and primers i use http://www14.inetba.com/tandtreloading/index2.ivnu

due to the haz mat fee, i only buy in bulk OR split the cost with someone

zedron
03-12-2012, 11:52 AM
Ahh. Didnt think about going to forums to search around. What ones are good to be a member of? The range where I go are Nazis when it comes to brass because they sell their own reloads. I can keep my own brass but obtaining more is a no go.

For powder, primers, and bullets I was looking at Midway USA. They seem to be pretty much the same as everywhere else after you calculate shipping costs.

I want to start getting into more target and paper shooting and also to make my own stock for when the zombies come....

Mostly going to be pistol rounds with a few rifle rounds.

Punisher11
03-12-2012, 12:26 PM
paper is light load, and the bullets are really flat

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg149/kscowboy/44WadcuttersSelfDefenseBestphoto.jpg

you can make/get some decent semi wad cutters that will do well on both paper and steel...

you can troll ar15.com they usually have a decent selection. i know caucasion has a range that sells brass, but you have to buy in big bulk (i think last he told me was per 1000)

for stock pile ammo, i suggest either plater or fmj (try berry's bullets or montana gold) and Mac had a great load out for target for 223 using 55grain boat tail bullets from federal.

ender uses midway, decent all in one shopping there

eNder
03-12-2012, 05:50 PM
yea i use midway. It's not the best. but if you need something and you want it right now. Midway is a pretty sure fire way to go . Shipping is fast and convenient. Bought my Lee single stage press from there and it's still trucking.

When you get into reloading, make aboslutely sure you're powder dispenser is quality. You do not want to measure out powder you think is the right measurement only to find out later down the road you under loaded the round and you get a squib. BAD BAD BAD idea. So always make sure what ever you're using to measure out your powder, You make damn sure it's within spec. You don't want to have someone like me making +P ammo and everybody's afraid to shoot it. OR give reloaded rounds to a person and then they end up with a squib (bullet head stuck in the barrel) and shooting another round AFTER the squib. which can blow up your hand.

ISPKI
03-13-2012, 03:16 AM
I just picked up a Lee Challenger single stage press! I still need a powder measure to start reloading the PPU brass that I have for my mosin. How expensive would you guys go for the scale?

eNder
03-13-2012, 03:57 AM
I just picked up a Lee Challenger single stage press! I still need a powder measure to start reloading the PPU brass that I have for my mosin. How expensive would you guys go for the scale?

in my opinion as high as your budget will go. I have the single stage press as well. I tried the lee method of dispensing powder with the disks, but i found that it cut flakes in half sometimes and the lee scale is too inconsistent.

Punisher11
03-13-2012, 09:37 AM
Currently using a $30 hornady digital scale. Its ok, but I constantly perform checks to make sure I'm getting consistent drops. All automated powder droppers will be +/- .1 grain (depending on powder type) and the scale will have the same amount of error