PDA

View Full Version : Canadians rejoice. Long gun registry killed.

eNder
04-04-2012, 11:42 PM
http://www.canada.com/news/Senate+votes+kill+long+registry/6411295/story.html

OTTAWA — The Conservative government vowed during the 2011 election to eliminate the long-gun registry. On Wednesday night, the bill to officially end the registry had its final vote in the Senate — leaving only a signature from the Governor General needed to officially kill the registry.That signature signing Bill C-19 into law should come Thursday morning.
By a vote of 50-27, senators approved the bill, marking the last political hurdle needed to kill the registry.
A few Liberals rose to vote in favour of C-19, including Senator Charlie Watt and Senator Lillian Eva Dyck. Each received applause from the Tory benches when they had their names called during the vote.
Senator Anne Cools, who sits as an independent, also received applause when she voted and a few jabs from the Liberal benches, where she sits.
"It's called democracy," she said during the vote.
There was no such applause for independent Senator Elaine McCoy, who voted against the bill.
The vote was quieter than the one that took place last month when C-19 passed its final vote in the House of Commons. There, the public gallery was packed with onlookers. On Wednesday, five people sat in the public gallery of the Senate to watch the vote.
Watching the vote on the floor of the Senate were Conservative MPs Cheryl Gallant, Robert Sopuck and Candice Hoeppner, who had originally pushed to end the registry.
"We are all counting the hours until the moment comes when law-abiding Canadians will no longer have to register their long guns," Hoeppner said earlier in the day in the Commons.
"We are grateful that we are going to be able to follow through on our commitment and end the long-gun registry once and for all."
After the vote, the three exited the Senate, heading to the Commons for a budget vote. A few hours after the vote, Gallant tweeted a picture (https://twitter.com/#!/cherylgallant/status/187681476937129985/photo/1) of her and Hoeppner high-fiving outside the Senate doors.
The federal law will end the requirement for lawful gun owners to register their long guns, and it relaxes rules around selling or transferring guns — that last point being a point of concern for Liberal senators when they reviewed the bill at the committee stage.
Gun licences for individuals will still be required, and the registry for restricted and prohibited firearms such as handguns will be maintained.
Some women's groups argued there wasn't enough time allocated for debate on the bill in the Senate. Liberal senators also raised concerns when the Conservatives used their majority in the Senate to limit final debate on the bill to six hours.
Many of the arguments made at the Senate were made throughout the debate over the registry, said Senator Marjory LeBreton, the government leader in the Senate, and there was little that hadn't been said.
"It's been 15 years since this registry has been brought in," she said in an interview Wednesday night. "There comes a time when you just have to end these debates."
Gun control has been ferociously debated in Canada for decades, particularly since the Ecole Polytechnique massacre of 1989, when a gunman shot and killed 14 women with a rifle. That prompted the Liberal government of Jean Chretien to tighten gun controls and create Canada's first mandatory long-gun registry in 1995.
"Virtually all major safety groups in the country support the registry," said Wendy Cukier, president of the Coalition for Gun Control. "The costs of keeping the gun registration of rifles and shotguns are modest — less than $4 million a year — while the costs of gun violence are immense."
Conservative senators speaking in favour of the bill this week spoke to those who oppose C-19, assuring them that the safety of Canadians won't be put in jeopardy once the registry is gone.
"I always had my doubts about this registry," Senator Pierre-Hugues Boisvenu, a Conservative and victim's rights advocate, said in the Senate on Tuesday.
"We need to address the real problem, the one presented by real criminals, and not law-abiding citizens."
But the battle over the long-gun registry is not over. On Tuesday, Quebec Justice Minister Jean-Marc Fournier announced he would challenge in Quebec Superior Court the constitutionality of Bill C-19.
The Quebec government has asked repeatedly that records on Quebec residents be transferred so the province can create its own registry, but the federal government has steadfastly rejected the request.
"Provincial governments were always free to proceed as they wished, but we were not going to help them," LeBreton said.
Quebec's legal proceeding will start once the bill receives royal assent. Fournier said filing now is a warning to the federal government that Quebec plans to block destruction of the records.

Germinator
04-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Thank fucking god, its about time. Not only are they getting rid of the registry, but they are making them destroy all the files so it would financially impossible for them to bring it back if the conservatives ever lost majority.

Harry
04-06-2012, 10:05 PM
I thought quebec blocked the destruction yesterday? Havent really paid attention...

GimPy™
04-14-2012, 10:23 AM
So what happens now as far as the gun buying process?

Harry
04-14-2012, 10:50 AM
My friend is into guns, he says nothing changes. The only difference is you don't have to register certain guns, but you still need to obtain the gun license and follow the same process for buying it, and the rules for storing the gun and ammo as well as transporting a firearm stay the same.

GimPy™
04-14-2012, 11:01 AM
What about a gun handed down in the family? If I own property could I technically target shoot without the gun being registered or having my FAC?

Harry
04-14-2012, 12:35 PM
As long as you have a gun license, you can obtain any longgun. You can buy it new, used or be given it, but you can't have it without a license. And once you have it you have to follow the same rules as if you bought it new.

As far as shooting it on your own property, it's a bit dicey. If you live in a built up area ie; city, town, village, forget it. You can't discharge a firearm on your property no matter what. If you live in the country it's different. But, it depends on your property. It has to be designated a certain type of rural land. I live in the country in a town, I have 2 acres and live by thick woods, and I wanted a 22 so I can shoot some of the funky ass creatures that come out of there, but I can't. You can't live in the country in a village and shoot in your backyard. I'm not sure the exact distinction but if you live in like an RR# with fields and barns and shit, you can shoot on your own property, for the reason of protecting your shit, but target shooting is pretty much out of the question I think.

I'm no expert on the subject but this is my understanding. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable like Germ will chime in and clear things up and correct me if I'm wrong.

eNder
05-01-2012, 12:30 AM
might not mean much. But it's the first step in a long battle.

Germinator
05-14-2012, 09:27 PM
As far as a gun being handed down to someone in the family if there is a death or somthing ect, if no one in the family has a valid license the guns get collected by the police and who knows what happends to them.