PDA

View Full Version : My rifle and I

ISPKI
05-11-2012, 02:37 AM
Well, my buddy and I went to the range recently. He had some of his step dad's sons with him and we were showing off our guns to them. They really enjoyed my heavily modified 1942 Mosin Nagant and I got a ton of compliments from other members at the range. It felt pretty damn good to get complimented on my handy work, especially after all the shit I have gone through with this gun. We set up some pine apples on the backstop (approx 250yds) and shot at them for a while. Everyone thought I was just barely missing because they kept seeing dirt fly up when I fired at them. When we went to check out the damage, I had turned my pineapple into swiss cheese, probably about 30 rounds went through it. Before we left, I accidentally hit the support post for one of the targets and ended up blowing a gaping hole through, which everyone found to be pretty impressive.

Anyhoo, I slugged the barrel of my gun in preparation for my bullet molds, and found that the barrel is extremely worn out. The slug measured just shy of .314in (they are originally machined to .311in), and I found that the wear is allowing blowback and splitting of cases, probably due to a shitty seal in the chamber.

So, my next project for the gun has switched to replacing the barrel. mint condition barrels and receivers can be had for around 50$ shipped on gunbroker, and it will take around 600ft/lbs of breaking force to get the damn thing off the gun. Wish me luck.

Punisher11
05-11-2012, 07:24 PM
pics when this happens. I read this happens a lot due to the nature of the round

ISPKI
05-12-2012, 01:10 AM
shit, I think I tossed all of them out. No point in keeping old steel cases. Basically there is a large amount of soot that travels down the neck of the shell and sometimes the neck of the shell actually cracks open. I believe this happens when a barrel is so worn that the neck of the shell has a slight space between it and the inside of the chamber. This allows the case neck to expand more than usual and, in the case of steel case (see what I did there?) ammo, the neck will actually split. Pure brass cases should just stretch out to the diameter of the chamber.

Punisher11
05-12-2012, 08:47 AM
i mean the barrel replacement

ISPKI
05-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Ah yes, definitely. I just got the steel block that I will be machining into the barrel vise. I will need to drill a large hole through the center of it, cut it in half, drill two holes through the top, then weld a solid steel rod that will be about 3/4inches thick and 4 feet long onto it. Then I will be making an almost identical vise for the receiver.

ISPKI
05-15-2012, 03:04 AM
Got some good news. I slugged the barrel of my M28 civil guard rifle and it came out to .309. That god damn gun was made in 1932 and the barrel is barely even worn out. I guess thats what happens when it sits around in a basement for 40 years.

ISPKI
05-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Just purchased a supposedly "excellent" condition barrel for 35$.

Punisher11
05-25-2012, 12:48 PM
these barrels are threaded? i saw a nagant receiver for like $50, for a little more i could have a whole gun

ISPKI
05-26-2012, 01:08 AM
It was actually a barreled receiver, I just had him saw the receiver in half which effectively makes it not a gun, since according to law, the receiver is the gun. Since the receiver is sawed in half, it is not just a piece of metal and I dont have to pay transfer fees for it. Some people want way too much money for parts of these guns. For 20$ you can get a barreled receiver with a mediocre condition barrel. The price goes up slightly from there. I purchased my nagant seven years for 60$ as a complete gun. Theres no way in hell I would pay 50$ for a receiver.

You have to keep in mind, the Mosin Nagant M91/30 is THE most produced firearm in the world. It has the longest military service life of any firearm ever, it has been produced in more factories than any other firearm. The Ishevsk arsenal was producing hundreds of these things EVERY DAY, and that was a single factory. They have absolutely no value to them unless you get a rare manufacturer like the finnish SK.Y armory (finland had 2 armories that made these, and they couldnt make the receivers, so they had to capture them all), Remington, or Westinghouse (which I think is the rarest of them all, they made around 500 total as training rifles).