PDA

View Full Version : Give me some ideas for a muzzle brake

ISPKI
06-17-2012, 12:51 AM
Hey folks! As many of you may know, I finally caved and purchased an AR15. Here is my issue; In CT - the muzzle brake/flash hider/compensator that comes standard on almost all new ar15s (the A2 birdcage) is illegal in CT. However, so is having a threaded barrel on a semi automatic rifle. This means that I will need to remove the birdcage flash hider, replace it with a muzzle brake, and then pop a laser tack on the underside of the muzzle brake to make it "permanently" affixed to the gun, thus making it legal.

I have been itching to machine my own muzzle brake for a while now, and now I have a really good reason to do it. I already ordered a 7/8in steel round bar that I will use for the muzzle brake. I was just wondering if anyone has seen any neat designs that are effective that I would be able to make.

Keep in mind that I have access to a bridgeport mill and a lathe.

Punisher11
06-17-2012, 06:23 PM
charlie runs this

Primary Weapons Systems FSC556 Compensator/Flash Hider

im thinking about running that also

ISPKI
06-17-2012, 11:23 PM
Looks neat. Sort of complicated though, and it is illegal in CT = / I like how the end of it is cut.

c_morse
06-18-2012, 01:02 AM
I run the FSC556 and love it.

If you can't do that, perhaps the Smith Vortex? That would have been my second choice.

http://www.smithenterprise.com/products06.05.html

ISPKI
06-20-2012, 12:59 AM
I dont see that smith muzzle brake being very effective. I was thinking something similar to this:

Looks nice, looks functional, looks relatively easy to machine.

c_morse
06-20-2012, 01:00 AM
It's a flash suppressor, not a muzzle brake. Perhaps I was misunderstanding what you're looking for/what's illegal in your state.