PDA

View Full Version : THE survival thread.

Double R
02-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Post all of your survival tactics here in case shit hits the fan :)

My contribution: Natural anti-septics.

Raw, unfiltered honey is an effective antiseptic treatment for topical wounds, burns or scrapes and helps inhibit the growth of bacteria. A recent study done in Canada at Ottawa University found that ordinary honey kills the bacteria found in sinus infections, in many cases more effectively than other antibiotics. However, never administer honey internally to children less than one year in age.

Lemon is also an antiseptic, is beneficial for the skin and has been tested for positive effects upon the digestive, circulatory and lymphatic systems. The antibacterial properties of lemon may be used to sterilize bites and wounds and soothe sunburns. You can also add lemon juice to a spray bottle with water to sanitize the air.

Garlic is another natural food with antiviral, antibiotic, anti-parasitic and antifungal capabilities and has a history of being used in WWI and WWII for the prevention of infections. The active ingredient in garlic--allicin--is effective against strep and staph germs and in some cases has even been shown to combat bacterial strains that are resistant to regular antibiotics. Use garlic topically or internally in raw clove form. For those who cannot tolerate garlic in clove form, garlic capsules are available.

zedron
02-08-2012, 09:27 PM
Water purification & Nutrition

This does require you to grow something but its grows extremely fast and requires shit for care. Belows is from Wikipedia but you can do plenty of searches on teh web to find more info. I have a few of these bad boys growing and they really do grow fast with little care. I planted a 2ft high stalk cut from a friends tree and in 6 months it grew to 10ft. I have since cut the top numerous times and replanted it to make another tree. The taste reminds me of horseradish or so, its has a little spice to it, but it provides a shit load of nutrients as the Wiki states.

Moringa is the sole genus in the flowering plant family Moringaceae. The name is derived from the Tamil word murunggai (முருங்கை) or the Malayalam word muringa, both of which refer to M. oleifera.[3] It contains 13 species from tropical and subtropical climates that range in size from tiny herbs to massive trees.

The most widely cultivated species is Moringa oleifera, a multipurpose tree native to the foothills of the Himalayas in northwestern India and cultivated throughout the tropics.[4] M. stenopetala, an African species, is also widely grown, but to a much lesser extent than M. oleifera.

Moringa oleifera silviculture is being promoted as a means to combat poverty and malnutrition.[5] It grows quickly in many types of environments, and much of the plant is edible, including by livestock. The leaves contain all essential amino acids and are rich in protein, vitamin A, vitamin B, vitamin C, and minerals.[4] Feeding the high protein leaves to cattle has been shown to increase weight gain by up to 32% and milk production by 43 to 65%.[5] The seeds contain 30 to 40% oil that is high in oleic acid, while degreased meal is 61% protein.[6] The defatted meal is a flocculant and can be used in water purification to settle out sediments and undesirable organisms.

MyNamesNotSteve
02-20-2012, 09:16 PM
Are we talking lost in the woods survival, end of the world survival or just any worst case scenario survival?

Punisher11
02-20-2012, 09:37 PM
all of the above. if you need to use this guide, you probably are in trouble lol

nuklear
02-21-2012, 12:26 AM
<-- in trouble

Jake
02-21-2012, 09:35 AM
Finding your bearings without a compass

Place a 1.5 - 2 ft stick in the ground and mark the end of the shadow with a stick or a rock. wait 15 minutes and mark the shadows new location with another stick or rock. The first marking marks west and the 2nd marks east. I.E walk from the first marking to 2nd marking and you're heading east

MyNamesNotSteve
02-21-2012, 09:00 PM
I'll post some more stuff later when I have time but this is a good trick that can be used in every day situations when you want to know exactly how much time you have until the sun hits the horizon. Just stick your hand out at full arms length and have you 4 fingers pointing left or right and line them up with the horizon. Every finger is about 15min/ all 4 an hour and just count how many lengths it is to the sun . You'd be surprised how accurate it is as long as you're not in the north pole or something.

Double R
02-21-2012, 11:14 PM
http://i.imgur.com/zht49.jpg

This belongs here

Das Kapitalist
02-22-2012, 12:29 PM
Marinated vag water :ohgod: