PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a scope...

ISPKI
07-07-2012, 03:00 AM
I have almost completed the assembly of my new AR15 and I was wondering what people would suggest as far as optics. I have the short 16in M4 style with the railed upper. It still has the A2 front irons on it, but I will be cutting those off this weekend. I was really curious about quality. I already own a Burris for my high caliber rifles and it works very well, but, I was hoping to get something with more magnification without spending a shit load of $$$. I was wondering what people's experience has been with using lower end scopes on their ARs, considering the immense lack of recoil the gun produces. A very good friend of mine has an HBAR with a 25in stainless National Match barrel and he uses a 4-12x Tasco scope that is very accurate (and very very cheap).

I was looking at some Barska setups. They have scope rings with tiny rails on top for mounting a reflex sight that seemed interesting to me. I would like something around a 16x magnification.

Punisher11
07-12-2012, 09:08 AM
I have almost completed the assembly of my new AR15 and I was wondering what people would suggest as far as optics. I have the short 16in M4 style with the railed upper. It still has the A2 front irons on it, but I will be cutting those off this weekend. I was really curious about quality. I already own a Burris for my high caliber rifles and it works very well, but, I was hoping to get something with more magnification without spending a shit load of $$$. I was wondering what people's experience has been with using lower end scopes on their ARs, considering the immense lack of recoil the gun produces. A very good friend of mine has an HBAR with a 25in stainless National Match barrel and he uses a 4-12x Tasco scope that is very accurate (and very very cheap).

I was looking at some Barska setups. They have scope rings with tiny rails on top for mounting a reflex sight that seemed interesting to me. I would like something around a 16x magnification.

16? that will net you max effective range of about 300yds... you can use a mid tier scope for that. Personally on 16in and under I would run red dot and/or magnifier. however for magnification, id opt for a 1-4 or 2-8x with a red dot at 1 o'clock. Nikkon M223 would be great for that setup, and coincidentally i will be using that for 3gun.

PSA had a sale july 4 for the vortex strike fire, i jumped on 1

ISPKI
07-13-2012, 12:35 AM
300yds is all? I was hitting a bowling pin at 225 with the first magazine I fired out of the thing. What does max effective range mean? Hitting a 4in target reliably? With the Barska rails, I could have a scope and a holo/red dot sight on top or on the sides of it.

ISPKI
07-13-2012, 12:57 AM
From the research I have done, the standard 55gr federal loads drop out of supersonic velocity around 600yds, but many people use them with very good results out to that range. From what I have read, most people can hit torso sized targets out to that point, while keeping very small groupings out to 300 yds (2.5-3"). This is all with surplus ammo, people get even better results with slightly heavier match grade ammo. Not that I need that kind of range out this gun, I have my mosins for long range shooting, but I am joining a club in CT that has a rifle range out to 385yds and I would like the AR to be useable at that range.

ISPKI
07-13-2012, 12:59 AM
Regardless, I want to have a higherish power scope, with the red dot sight mounted ontop of it. I have high rings with a peep hole in them to allow the use of those low flip up magpul irons that my fiance's grandfather keeps telling me to get. I need to post some pictures of this gun before I finish the muzzle brake.

Punisher11
07-13-2012, 01:13 AM
300yds is all? I was hitting a bowling pin at 225 with the first magazine I fired out of the thing. What does max effective range mean? Hitting a 4in target reliably? With the Barska rails, I could have a scope and a holo/red dot sight on top or on the sides of it.

max effective IE trajectory of flight will still hold MOA.

hell a .22 will go 1.5 mile, but im sure you'd be using kentucky windage at that point.

Punisher11
07-13-2012, 01:16 AM
Regardless, I want to have a higherish power scope, with the red dot sight mounted ontop of it. I have high rings with a peep hole in them to allow the use of those low flip up magpul irons that my fiance's grandfather keeps telling me to get. I need to post some pictures of this gun before I finish the muzzle brake.

when will you use the red dot? will you remember height over bore holds? have you shot a red dot that high off a stock?

main reason i dont like the RDS on top is you get 0 cheek weld.

Marines are using night force optics, a certainly dont think you will be using a scope worth double your gun, but its among the best

again nikkon's M223 was designed for the .223. you can also try one with BDC.

I can suggest much more, but you need to let me know a budget

ISPKI
07-13-2012, 11:07 AM
I Would really like to keep the scope itself under 200 and the secondary optic under 100, although that might be difficult to do. That being said, I will probably have to settle for a used leupold/nikon/burris or something of that nature if I want any kind of quality. However, is a scope of those qualities really needed for a gun that has next to no recoil? My buddy has been shooting with a 35$ NcStar on his for about four years now and he has never had an issue with it. In fact, I have used his gun numerous times and that cheap POS scope is actually relatively clear and very accurate.

ISPKI
07-13-2012, 11:11 AM
I picked up the 3-9x40 burris for my mosin for 135$ used off ebay in excellent condition. I figure with a limit of 200$, I could get something similar or perhaps with slightly more magnification with some luck.

Punisher11
07-13-2012, 12:45 PM
I Would really like to keep the scope itself under 200 and the secondary optic under 100, although that might be difficult to do. That being said, I will probably have to settle for a used leupold/nikon/burris or something of that nature if I want any kind of quality. However, is a scope of those qualities really needed for a gun that has next to no recoil? My buddy has been shooting with a 35$ NcStar on his for about four years now and he has never had an issue with it. In fact, I have used his gun numerous times and that cheap POS scope is actually relatively clear and very accurate.

RDS http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Sightmark-Mini-Shot-Reflex-Sight&i=444639&aID=503N8&merchID=4006

scope: cheap glass is cheap glass. recoil or not. the barska I have on my 10/22 is meant for heavier hunting use. however i find that when i use it above 6x, the picture gets slightly hazy. under 6x its clear. ive looked through my uncles swavorski scope and its clearer than clear at any magnification. cost about as much as the gun though. I still recommend the M223, its in your budget (if you get the rds i linked), the glass is quality, and all you need are mounts to put it where you want.

ISPKI
07-13-2012, 12:54 PM
I have a 6x24 tasco on my cz452 in 22LR and it is pretty darn clear. Not as clear as my Burris, and lord knows it wont hold up to the recoil that my mosins have, but for a gun with no kick, it does pretty well.

The cheapest M223 I can find is priced at 264$ and it is a 1-4x

The ones with the magnification that I am looking for are 350+

There is a fixed 10x Burris for 100$ on Ebay and a 3-9x burris for 175$

Punisher11
07-13-2012, 01:16 PM
are you doing more bench shooting or run and gun?

ISPKI
07-13-2012, 11:21 PM
I dont do any run and gun. I want to go with my buddy to a competition that he attends, but they dont do a whole lot of run and gun stuff. It is mostly running through an obstacle course, then take position and shoot.

Punisher11
07-15-2012, 11:05 PM
i put a cheap NC star acog clone on my 20in for now. I want some good glass and I have to get the 1 o'clock mount for the micro rds

ISPKI
07-16-2012, 02:08 AM
I have had great success with old, used burris scopes. They can be had for a decent price (under 200 for less than 12x mag usually) and are extremely rugged. They even put up with my M91/30's recoil which can literally destroy lesser quality scopes. I had a 2-7x AIM scope on one of my mosins once...It survived one shot before the tube split and the glass shattered. D: My Burris 3-9x performs very well and is clear enough for me. I just wish it were higher magnification, but the price jumps up so god damn much, I just cannot justify spending it.