PDA

View Full Version : Building a new gaming rig. Thoughts on the build?

Strider
08-30-2012, 12:47 AM
Monitor: 27" Dell Ultrasharp Widescreen - Max Resolution 2560 x 1440
CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X 3.3GHz
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset)
RAM: 32GB DDR3 2400MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX
Power: 1200W Corsair Pro Platinum Series with Corsair Link
Harddrives: 2x 240GB Intel SSD 520
Videocards: 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 4GB in Quad SLI configuration
Sound Card: Creative Labs Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion 5.1

Some other goodies: Water cooled CPU, video cards, and chipset, Killer 2100 lag an latency reduction network card, Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer, Windows 7 Ultimate, automatic temperature controller, and chassis / speaker system to be determined...

ISPKI
08-30-2012, 01:07 AM
Is this a joke or are you seriously looking to spend 4000$ on a computer that will be outdated in a few years? Not to bash on your build but...I7 extreme? seriously? Whats the point in having it?

Strider
08-30-2012, 03:09 AM
they are getting less and less outdated these days relative to the earlier days...i mean the last one i paid $4000 five years ago and i'm just now getting around to replacing it, and it's still a decent computer

priced all those parts on newegg and it came out around $6500...the point? because i can without it hurting my budget...and it's fun

Siegler
08-30-2012, 06:30 AM
case?

civcmatt
08-30-2012, 10:23 AM
Is this a joke or are you seriously looking to spend 4000$ on a computer that will be outdated in a few years? Not to bash on your build but...I7 extreme? seriously? Whats the point in having it?

agreed....if you are baller like that do it up, but personally waste of money

my $600 computer lasted me 6 years and it was still a decent machine before i decided i wanted/needed another computer.....spent $450 this time around and its already almost 2 years old and still better than half the computers out there.

Shrug.........i think you are just building it to say you did

Stealth
08-30-2012, 10:30 AM
waste over money IMO too.

you can spend 1/4 of that money and build something that will be just perfect.

zedron
08-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Give me $5000 and Ill make you one baller. I keep the change.

Strider
08-30-2012, 01:47 PM
case?

Cooler Master HAF X Full Tower

Just used cyberpowerpc.com to build the computer...slightly lower on the specs and it came out at $4960 after a coupon.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3960X Extreme Edition Six-Core 3.30 GHz 15MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011 (All Venom OC Certified)
HDD: 2x 120 GB OCZ Agility 3 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 525MB/s Read & 500MB/s Write
MEMORY: 32GB (4GBx8) DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance [+0])
MOTHERBOARD: (4-Way SLI Support) ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX w/ ROG Connect, UEFI BIOS, BT GO, OC Key, Subzero Sense & 7.1 HD Audio, Intel GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 5 Gen3 PCIe X16 & 1 PCIe X1
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 4GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Dual GPU Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

Anyone have any experience with cyberpower? I was thinking of using DigitalStorm but their computers are like $1500 - $2000 more for around the same specs.

Paxil
08-30-2012, 02:14 PM
I've done the whole bad ass asus rog board thing. it's pretty, but a budget board i picked out for my cousin had the same features at 150 bucks less. all those "cool" features like rog connect just make for a longer spec sheet with no practical use ( especially since even the budget board comes with on desktop oc software). Asus xonar sound cards are the best, spending that much, may as well get away from some lame "fatality" line card ( and for that price its boner kill lame). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132010

Any particular reason you picked nvidia? They have those great specs, but Radeon cards always seem to have a bit better final image imo. The only real nvidia advantage is its native 3d support, which you don't seem to be using based on the dell monitor.

civcmatt
08-30-2012, 03:08 PM
is a sound card really worth 171 bucks????? are you going to be hooking it up to studio speakers?? i mean most motherboards run 7.1 surround and have a Optical output? i cant really see the benefit to that unless you are going to be hooking it up to a mufti-thousand dollar speaker setup.

i mean i see you changed it to run the on board, but ya anyway.

Paxil
08-30-2012, 03:18 PM
I have it paired to my k701 headphones. I wouldn't settle for less now, in gaming or music. 7.1 means nothing to hi fi reference. I love it for games where every sound could potentially help, like cs or bf3.

Stealth
08-30-2012, 03:30 PM
I remember in my old PC a sound card made a HUGE difference in quality, but now I don't know so much. I haven't tried any of the newer card.

The thing too is when I play movies I use my onkyo and it does Dolby digital/DTS so I don't think a sound card would make a difference as the reciever is doing the decoding.

Paxil
08-30-2012, 03:38 PM
i think your not accounting for the amp thats in the card. I had this hooked up to a yamaha amp and an equalizer to a 6.6 speaker set up.

edit: sorry for derailing your thread.

Stealth
08-30-2012, 03:40 PM
amp won't do anything for me on a digital signal. I mean, it might do something for my stereo speakers or i guess if i had a independent speaker setup.

civcmatt
08-30-2012, 04:09 PM
I remember in my old PC a sound card made a HUGE difference in quality, but now I don't know so much. I haven't tried any of the newer card.

The thing too is when I play movies I use my onkyo and it does Dolby digital/DTS so I don't think a sound card would make a difference as the reciever is doing the decoding.

ya i guess i would have never thought about it, ive just been using my onboard sound card for a very long time, they have always been either 5.1 or 7.1(now) and have powered my little Logitechs like beasts. even hooked up to my Sony, it did just fine for parties.

i guess id be curious to see if it made that much of a difference for a normal user. (not rocking a studio setup in their computer room)

Paxil
08-30-2012, 04:14 PM
the difference would be working speakers and blown speakers

edit : dont put that card to logitechs, they will be destroyed.

Strider
08-30-2012, 04:52 PM
I've done the whole bad ass asus rog board thing. it's pretty, but a budget board i picked out for my cousin had the same features at 150 bucks less. all those "cool" features like rog connect just make for a longer spec sheet with no practical use ( especially since even the budget board comes with on desktop oc software). Asus xonar sound cards are the best, spending that much, may as well get away from some lame "fatality" line card ( and for that price its boner kill lame). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132010

Any particular reason you picked nvidia? They have those great specs, but Radeon cards always seem to have a bit better final image imo. The only real nvidia advantage is its native 3d support, which you don't seem to be using based on the dell monitor.

I haven't even looked in to any radeon cards...and no i don't give a shit about 3d support...i'm just going for the best of the best really, and right now it seems to be the Nvidia 4gig 690 GTX
and cool suggestion on the sound card...i'll have to look in to that one

EXCellR8
08-30-2012, 05:07 PM
four gigs on a video card is a huge waste unless you want to add a couple more monitors. not just useful for gaming but not having to minimize everything is so much fucking easier when multitasking. do you have to get a fkn ultrasharp or could you go with a few regular less expensive 1920 x 1200 displays??

and xonar and x-fi is definitely the best for audio... i use both so if you got any questions feel free. i actually found my Xonar card at work in a dumpster--brand new in the box. some fucking retard threw the goddam thing away still shrink-wrapped. def an ill freebie.

Paxil
08-30-2012, 05:32 PM
I haven't even looked in to any radeon cards...and no i don't give a shit about 3d support...i'm just going for the best of the best really, and right now it seems to be the Nvidia 4gig 690 GTX
and cool suggestion on the sound card...i'll have to look in to that one

Sorry, in retrospect I did have an aggressive tone. I use a sony 3d able monitor, and I needed to use a third party software to get 3d with my radeon 6950, which hurt my fondness of amd over nvidia when trying to experiment with 3d.

civcmatt
08-30-2012, 05:37 PM
four gigs on a video card is a huge waste unless you want to add a couple more monitors.

concurred...I really dont see the point of doing this at all....unless you are rocking a min of 3 full 1080p monitors. id want to run 4 of them if i was going to waste my money, might as well waste it and make it worth it.

Strider
08-30-2012, 06:14 PM
can always get 2 more ultrasharps :omg:

and no biggie about the aggressive tone...found nothing wrong with it

Siegler
08-30-2012, 11:36 PM
get 2 more ultrasharps. go big or go home

EXCellR8
08-31-2012, 07:00 PM
Hell, get five more if you got that kind of money to spend... just don't get a 4GB card if you plan on using one or two screens, even a high-res one. YAWN.

Strider
09-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Alright, what kind of dream rig would you build for a one monitor system with a max resolution of 2560 x 1440?

EXCellR8
09-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Well if I was gonna build a "luxury" spec system with just one monitor I'd probably use a 2GB graphics card (no need to CF/SLI), load it up w RAM and then find a processor to OC the shit out of. I like to liquid cool my processors because I usually overclock but most of the newer CPU you don't really need to. I've been told the Ivy chips run pretty hot out of the box so I wouldn't push those to far. I don't recommend liquid cooling the graphics card only because it makes it a pain to replace, but a lot of people prefer to do so as most GPU run hotter than CPU. Grab an SSD or two for the boot drive and then use a couple bigger platter drives for storage.

civcmatt
09-02-2012, 10:00 PM
Grab an SSD or two for the boot drive and then use a couple bigger platter drives for storage.

Id grab 2 decent size SSD (80 to 160GB a piece) and Raid 0 them for the OS. i mean really you dont NEED a huge drive for the OS anyway. shit ive been running 2 RAIDed 120GBs for about 10 years and i used to use a TB drive for my media and stuff i wanted to keep (now i use a NAS) that way if i need to wipe my computer or it crashes i loose zero info and it runs faster RAIDed

Siegler
09-02-2012, 10:02 PM
I'd love to work with a baller case for any type of water cooling setup I want. Like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163178

EXCellR8
09-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Id grab 2 decent size SSD (80 to 160GB a piece) and Raid 0 them for the OS. i mean really you dont NEED a huge drive for the OS anyway.

this is what i implied, and is also how i run my OS as well. i have a pair of older 80GB SSD but they are still quite fast in RAID-0. dunno if i could even go back to a platter drive OS now that i've been on SSD's for a few years. i may upgrade the boot drives at some point but i'd rather wait until i get a SATA III board.

civcmatt
09-02-2012, 10:56 PM
Ya I'm really tempted to go ssd cu my work laptop has one and it makes such a huge difference. But I can't see the money benefit since I don't use my computer all that much