PDA

View Full Version : Getting my permit on Sunday, need pistol recommendations

P-Spec
11-27-2012, 01:56 AM
Long overdue since it's been a year since I opened the restaurant and constantly am leaving with large amounts of cash on me but I'm finally getting it done this Sunday.

Need help on purchasing my first pistol. Biggest thing for me is being comfortable to walk around with concealed and reliable/accurate. Don't want to spend more than 5-600.

I know those aren't the most specific parameters but I'll take whatever advice I can get

Punisher11
11-27-2012, 10:26 AM
Long overdue since it's been a year since I opened the restaurant and constantly am leaving with large amounts of cash on me but I'm finally getting it done this Sunday.

Need help on purchasing my first pistol. Biggest thing for me is being comfortable to walk around with concealed and reliable/accurate. Don't want to spend more than 5-600.

I know those aren't the most specific parameters but I'll take whatever advice I can get

did you have a caliber in mind yet?

smallest i recommend is 9mm, and you have a lot of options.

also the biggest deal about conceal carry is holster and belt, then dressing around it. i personally recommend crossbreed supertuck holsters, no guns or penises digging into your hip. also wear a gun/holster belt, as they are designed to take the weight

P-Spec
11-27-2012, 11:57 AM
Yeah 9 mm is probably what I'm gonna start off with and move up to a .40 next year......I was thinking of also getting a .22 rimfire for practice since I'm gonna be blowing through ammo the first 6 months or so.

If I go 9mm a lot of people have been recommending the Glock 19 but since conceal/comfort is my main concern and I don't want to get discouraged from carrying until I am used to the feel of concealing I was checking out some other models as well.....namely the Ruger SR9c or M&P9c, any opinions on those?

Punisher11
11-27-2012, 12:17 PM
Yeah 9 mm is probably what I'm gonna start off with and move up to a .40 next year......I was thinking of also getting a .22 rimfire for practice since I'm gonna be blowing through ammo the first 6 months or so.

If I go 9mm a lot of people have been recommending the Glock 19 but since conceal/comfort is my main concern and I don't want to get discouraged from carrying until I am used to the feel of concealing I was checking out some other models as well.....namely the Ruger SR9c or M&P9c, any opinions on those?

the nose will go with glock, i will vote for the other 2. all 3 are reliable and worth the money, you could also do the m&p shield, which i think is more carry friendly

ISPKI
11-27-2012, 12:43 PM
I was just at Riverview sales in East Windsor talking to the guys about Smith and Wesson's new Shield handgun. They could not say enough great things about it. While we were chatting about how great of a self defense gun it is, A customer who owned one chimed in and started telling us how awesome it was.

I havent gotten to actually fire one but they feel extremely comfortable, and they arent expensive at all - I think riverview has them for 375$. My buddy has a Glock 19 and it is also a nice handgun, but, it is significantly larger than the Shield and my buddy actually found that it is somewhat uncomfortable to carry. I guess the blockiness of the frame can be sort of awkward if you are a skinny little dude. You can get them both in 9mm or .40.

Also - Take a look at your license when you get it, CT is not a conceal carry state.

zedron
11-27-2012, 02:58 PM
What about a Springfield XD Subcompact 9mm?

P-Spec
11-27-2012, 03:30 PM
I was just at Riverview sales in East Windsor talking to the guys about Smith and Wesson's new Shield handgun. They could not say enough great things about it. While we were chatting about how great of a self defense gun it is, A customer who owned one chimed in and started telling us how awesome it was.

I havent gotten to actually fire one but they feel extremely comfortable, and they arent expensive at all - I think riverview has them for 375$. My buddy has a Glock 19 and it is also a nice handgun, but, it is significantly larger than the Shield and my buddy actually found that it is somewhat uncomfortable to carry. I guess the blockiness of the frame can be sort of awkward if you are a skinny little dude. You can get them both in 9mm or .40.

Also - Take a look at your license when you get it, CT is not a conceal carry state.

What do you mean? CT is conceal carry with a permit. I know dozens of people who conceal carry with their permit

ISPKI
11-27-2012, 07:29 PM
CT is a carry with permit, state law does not specify conceal or open, therefore, it is legal to carry either concealed or open.

P-Spec
11-27-2012, 07:51 PM
Ok yes, your wording confused me, I was about to say I'm pretty sure that Illinois is the only state that still hasn't passed a ccw provision.

ISPKI
11-29-2012, 02:33 AM
Ah yeah, I can see how that would have sounded odd. Well, I am bias towards the Shield since I make some of the internals for it = / it really seems to be a solid weapon though. Let me know when you get everything so we can go shooting sometime.

P-Spec
11-29-2012, 01:49 PM
oh yeah I forgot your from CT.....where do you shoot?

Punisher11
11-29-2012, 02:36 PM
What about a Springfield XD Subcompact 9mm?

that will do also, i just wish there was more aftermarket support

ISPKI
11-30-2012, 02:50 AM
My buddy has a membership at Hartford gun club in East Granby. We also go to a spot in an old quarry in Heartland and one of us will hopefully be getting a membership at Metacon gun club in simsbury soon - they said my buddy had about 8 people ahead of him...that is after a four year wait D:

We both have a bunch of recently aquired firearms to test out so we are itching to go soon. I gotta test out my sawed off 12ga stevens and my buddy has a sawed off Mosin Nagant rifle and a Lee Enfield rifle to test.

P-Spec
12-01-2012, 02:54 PM
sweet....by the way i looked into what you said about CT and open carrying and yeah its not specified on the permit but you will absolutely be arrested for breach of peace unless you have a really good reason for carrying openly.

c_morse
12-01-2012, 03:57 PM
You'll really like the Ruger. I have a LCP and love it.

You should also look at the Springfield Armory XD-S. Concealment won't be an issue, and it's a 45 so plenty of knockdown power.

Glock 27 would also be a perfect compromise. It's a .40, plenty small for carry... the list goes on.

ISPKI
12-02-2012, 01:22 AM
Well thats not entirely true P_Spec. My buddy open carries around town sometimes and he has been approached by police I believe. They cant technically arrest you for anything. Usually what happens in those situations where the gun carrier does get arrested is that they get in an argument with someone about the firearm which is then breaching the peace. We walked into the Starbucks in the center of our town with him open carrying (multiple hand guns mind you) and it was not an issue at all. Admittedly, its not worth the hassle that people will give you though. Just a fun fact to keep in mind really.

Besides the best reason for open carry is this; It is my constitutional right to do so. That is the only reason a person needs.

P-Spec
12-02-2012, 04:20 PM
What town do you live in? The guy at the course today was pretty adamant about it being a terrible idea to attempt to open carry in CT. I guess it's where you live and if you want to risk being arrested and having your gun taken away when some old lady freaks out and calls the cops. I guess there is some guy currently in Glastonbury that would walk around with his Colt holstered openly and was arrested for breach of peace and he is fighting the law

Punisher11
12-02-2012, 08:43 PM
What town do you live in? The guy at the course today was pretty adamant about it being a terrible idea to attempt to open carry in CT. I guess it's where you live and if you want to risk being arrested and having your gun taken away when some old lady freaks out and calls the cops. I guess there is some guy currently in Glastonbury that would walk around with his Colt holstered openly and was arrested for breach of peace and he is fighting the law

thats the double edge sword of open carry, if someone feels threatened by it, its over.

personally, i dont like open carry, as it announces your play. can you imagine who the bigger target is in a robbery situation when you are open carrying and im concealed?

ISPKI
12-04-2012, 10:24 AM
I used to live in Granby but have since moved.

Gustav129
12-18-2012, 10:36 PM
thats the double edge sword of open carry, if someone feels threatened by it, its over.

personally, i dont like open carry, as it announces your play. can you imagine who the bigger target is in a robbery situation when you are open carrying and im concealed?

That must be a north eastern thing (especially the last few days). Here, where open carry is legal without permit, a LEO will show up and politely ask you to leave. But no charges can be pressed.