Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    That's actually pretty smart if it is their strategy. As long as they can keep their costs low enough.

Where does Samsung really innovate though? or Android for that matter. It's like an open iOS. Pretty boring and played out. I'll be moving to windows for my next phone.

Developing for Android is already a pain in the ass. Too many different phones and OS versions to account for.
    Samsung doesn't really innovate, but in the mind of the consumer they do with beating Apple to market with stuff like 4G LTE, NFC, and so forth. They don't have to be the first to market with that stuff, they just have to be the first top tier brand with it and market it in contrast to Apple. They sold a ton of Galaxy S III phones in the time between Apples announcement and the wide availability of it. I preordered a iPhone 5, and when I got it and went to best buy for a case there were a ton of people in line for it, partially because the iphone was out of stock. The best buy employee that came up to meet me even kinda talked down to me about it then and asked me why I wanted the iPhone 5 instead of a "more cutting edge" Galaxy. I informed her the main reason was because I work in Nike tech and need a phone authorized to connect to my corporate email. She shut the hell up. Lol

They are not ditching Android. They are launching Tizen in tandem with their Android and Windows offerings. They could never ditch their Android bread and butter for an unproven OS ecosystem.

Ubuntu mobile is barely polished yet. It will only be launching on the Galaxy Nexus at first.
    aka B18C5er

more info... apparently plans to start very soon.

The Tizen was born as Samsung hoped to lighten its growing dependence on Google on concerns that its top position in the smartphone market may weaken following the Google-Motorola tie-up.
    http://techbeat.com/2013/01/tizen-po...oming-in-2013/

sounds like it's more of a matter of Samsung just trying to bulldog their way to the top of the smartphone market...
    '95 Civic Sedan + '08 Fit Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_YYZ View Post
    Ubuntu mobile is barely polished yet. It will only be launching on the Galaxy Nexus at first.
    I think you can put Ubuntu on any multi-core smart phone and it has a pretty sweet docking feature that gives full OS when docked. pretty cool if ya ask me.
    97 4Runner 5spd - 3in Toytec suspension lift w/Pro Comp shocks. 2in body lift. 17in dick cepek dc-2. 33in Nitto Terra Graplers. 3in Cat-back. ISR Delete. HREW tubing Rock Sliders. Outdoor Logic front wench bumper

I doubt it will work on any phone.

no not any...any multi-core. and i wouldnt doubt that most multi-core devices are pretty stacked in the hardware dept. those are more of the high end devices.
    97 4Runner 5spd - 3in Toytec suspension lift w/Pro Comp shocks. 2in body lift. 17in dick cepek dc-2. 33in Nitto Terra Graplers. 3in Cat-back. ISR Delete. HREW tubing Rock Sliders. Outdoor Logic front wench bumper

Quote Originally Posted by civcmatt View Post
    I think you can put Ubuntu on any multi-core smart phone and it has a pretty sweet docking feature that gives full OS when docked. pretty cool if ya ask me.
    Straight from Canonical, it will be launching on the Gnex first.
    aka B18C5er