Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keto

Keto

Been on it for 4 weeks.

My size 36 pants are falling off me. Lost maybe an inch so far.

Don't know how much I weight because scales are for things with bleeding slits.

Anyway, do it. It'll change your shit up.

I was on that for almost 6 months. Lost 20 lbs and 3 - 4 pant sizes. Nothing like a diet consisting of bacon, burgers, and cheese. mmmmm

hahaha

There's these things called vegetables, too.

What does this diet consist of?

i did a varient of it and lost 40lb's but i did loose muscle too (not enough fat confused) and to low of calories. (scarsdale diet)
    I wrote about it on ***.

Doing it now and i'm down 10lb's in 2 weeks.

Best part of keto is you aren't hungry between meals. It suppresses my appetite big time IMO.

Normal Day

Breakfast

2 eggs w/ bacon & cheese on LoW carb Peta (7 net carbs)

Lunch -

Chili (low carb) / Muscle Maker Grill (low carb item) / Chicken w/ Salad

Dinner

Streak or Chicken w/ Vegitiable

Snacks
    Cheese
    Veggies

what's so wonderful about it? Maybe I'll send it to my friend who keeps trying to diet and can't stand being hungry all the time.

You just restrict your carb intake, depending on the person, average i think is under 50-100g of carbs per day.

I try and stick it to under 50g, depending on what kind of carbs i have anything over, it kicks me out of ketosis.
    They sell sticks that you can pee on that tells you if you are producing ketones so u can see what you need to be under.

To keep it simple, your body stops using carbs for energy and starts using fat.

For a lot of people, hunger disapears and you basicly start eating less by not even trying. Protien and Fat make you feel full faster
    and keep hunger away, so you eat less even though you are eating foods that people usually tell you to avoid. Bacon, Eggs, Steak, cheese, ect ect...

Aside from that, health benifits are a great, people see their blood preasure go down and their HDL/LDL ratio get a LOT better. In some cases if not all better then medicine does.

I can go all day on about it. There are a ton of benifits

Sounds just like the Atkins diet.

it is atkins lol, high fat/protiend low carb.

I did the atkins lol. A few years ago, me and a couple of people. It "does" work, the problem with the atkins is its a bit of a bust. What happens when you cut out your carbs is like you said your body changes the way it metabolizes it's energy and you start burning fat, but what was discovered is that eventually your body adjusts to the new system and returns to producing the same fat stores as before. I'm no dietician so i'm speaking laymens here, the terminology is off but the way it was explained was you're benefiting from the short term "shock" you've put your body in, the point from when you reduced carbs to the point where your body catches up to the changes and returns to normal. It takes a couple of months for your body to do this so in that time you do lose weight, but in my case, all of us lost a good amount of weight and all of us regained it, even though we stuck with the diet, the weight came back.

Maybe this keto thing is tweaked in a way where it works better, idk.

probably not eating enough fat IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I did the atkins lol. A few years ago, me and a couple of people. It "does" work, the problem with the atkins is its a bit of a bust. What happens when you cut out your carbs is like you said your body changes the way it metabolizes it's energy and you start burning fat, but what was discovered is that eventually your body adjusts to the new system and returns to producing the same fat stores as before. I'm no dietician so i'm speaking laymens here, the terminology is off but the way it was explained was you're benefiting from the short term "shock" you've put your body in, the point from when you reduced carbs to the point where your body catches up to the changes and returns to normal. It takes a couple of months for your body to do this so in that time you do lose weight, but in my case, all of us lost a good amount of weight and all of us regained it, even though we stuck with the diet, the weight came back.

Maybe this keto thing is tweaked in a way where it works better, idk.
    With regarding the "plateau" when your body adjusts to the low low carb intake, it is suggested that you do a carb load day about once a month to every six weeks. Some advocate a carb load once a week. It's all about how your body responds.

I'm not talking about eating an entire birthday cake, but taking in a lot more cabs than usual. I'm at around 40-50 per day, so when I do a carb load day I'll go up to about 100 to kick myself out of ketosis. Then, when you drop back down, it jump starts the fart burning.

With Atkins, you basically NEVER carb up, which I think is ridiculous. Also, Atkins didn't believe in calorie counting. Calories are still important. A Keto diet probably won't work if you're wolfing down 5,000 calories in meat and cheese every day without any kind of workout program.

I should clarify, Keto incorporates several different diets. It's not just ONE diet. The goal is obviously ketosis, but each are different depending what your lifestyle is like. Atkins would be better for someone who isn't into lifting/heavy workouts. Trust me, trying to workout 5 days a week with < 20 carbs per day is tough. Your energy is shit.

SKD (standard keto diet) is a strait keto diet w/ no carb ups, similar to atkins type diet.

TKD is a targeted ketogenic diet, where carbs are ingested around training.

CKD is a cycling ketogenic diet where you eat low carbs during the week, and carb up on the weekends.

I'm doing the TKD method, which I will drink a protein shake after my morning workout(15g carbs) and after my evening workout(15g carbs). Other than that, the only carbs I get are with the veggies I eat with my lunch/dinner, which is negligible.

thats pretty interesting, it makes a lot more sense now.

I'm intrigued.

Any specific sites that would be helpful for getting started on something like this?

after a few months of doing keto your body should fully adjust to working out on little to no carbs.

At first you will feel very fatiguied and your endurance is gonna suck big time.

Sunday I had carbs and it kicked me out ketosis, but i'm already back into mild ketosis on day 3.

It's hard to go out to parties with amazing food and not have carbs, I try and avoid them if possible keeping it under 50g and if 1 day a week i want to have a sandwhich i do it. You are still going to lose fat if 6 out 7 days you aren't having shitty carbs from bread.

Quote Originally Posted by 95civicex View Post
    I'm intrigued.

Any specific sites that would be helpful for getting started on something like this?
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...EHc/edit?pli=1

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

I only have two problems with this diet; the adversity to fruits and salt. Can't say I heard of fat people who have a large portion of fruit in their diet. Plus the salt intake is crazy. I see the claims of helping blood pressure and stuff but what is the science behind salt as a major problem for high blood pressure yet in abundance in this diet being the opposite effect?