Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42
  1. #1

    Entrepreneurs and Business Owners

    I know we have a few here. What projects are you working on? What type of business do you run?

    I've been focused on Android Apps lately and plan on releasing my first in the next couple of weeks. I've got a few ideas in the pipeline that I'll be working on once my first is on the market. I'd like to get some income coming in so I can walk from my job and work on my ideas full time. Right now I'm just a wage slave.

    Let us know what you're working on or plan on doing.

  2. #2
    Intel & VTEC Inside EXCellR8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Nowhere NH
    Posts
    924
    I'm sort of in the same boat... but actually told my boss to fuck off just the other day so right now I am in the process of overhauling my side business which is cheap and affordable PC repair. It's made me some money but I never really put 100% into it. Going to advertise a lot more and attend some local events to see if I can get it started up again the right way. Fuck being a slave to dickheads who don't pay shit.

    I have actually been looking into android stuff as well and, although I know virtually nothing about it yet, I am willing to learn. Like most things though it's just a time issue and not money necessarily. And now that I am not officially employed I have a little time to fuck around with some stuff. There's a TON of money to be made in mobile apps and personally I think android is a great platform to work with. People are fucking making bank with this stuff and no matter how many apps are released the market remains vacant for new devs.
    '95 Civic Sedan + '08 Fit Sport

  3. #3
    As you all know I opened a wing joint called Wing It On! here in CT last summer. While there is still alot to do while WIO is growing I do have another (related) project in the pipeline.

    I'm currently working on organizing a CT Wings & Beer Festival. The idea started about 4 years ago when I hit up Buffalo, NY for the National Buffalo Wing Festival. While it was alot of fun, the restaurants that took part in the event were nothing special by any means. I remember thinking to myself, damn I know at least a dozen places in CT that make better wings than any of the places here. Thus I started compiling a list of contacts and restaurants to eventually invite to my hypothetical event. Of course planning a festival of this scope at the statewide level is rather serious business requiring a substantial amount of capital, footwork and other resources. My first goal is to organize a local wings & beer festival in my hometown. While I know all there is to know about wings, I have recruited a friend of mine who is a certified Sommelier and mixologist in Miami to provide consulting on the alcohol side of the planning phase. As of today, planning is on hold while i concentrate on WIO but I would like to make substantial progress on this project during the winter months. My goal is 2-3 years for the local festival and 6-8 years for the statewide festival.
    Last edited by P-Spec; 06-23-2012 at 10:50 PM.

  4. #4
    Side jobs of 4x4 fabrication and repair has been ramping up lately. Started as just me fixing and building shit. Others wanted what i made. Now i have made 4 or 5 of the items for other people. Slowly aquiring more tools to speed up the process. Finally got a plasma cutter so looking forward to quicker turn around and less labor. Most of my stuff is jeep related but i have been branching out to other things.

    seems to be moving along well. If the shit hits the fan then im not out much because i can use the tools anyways.
    The artist formerly known as boosted_sileighty

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Spec View Post
    As you all know I opened a wing joint called Wing It On! here in CT last summer. While there is still alot to do while WIO is growing I do have another (related) project in the pipeline.

    I'm currently working on organizing a CT Wings & Beer Festival. The idea started about 4 years ago when I hit up Buffalo, NY for the National Buffalo Wing Festival. While it was alot of fun, the restaurants that took part in the event were nothing special by any means. I remember thinking to myself, damn I know at least a dozen places in CT that make better wings than any of the places here. Thus I started compiling a list of contacts and restaurants to eventually invite to my hypothetical event. Of course planning a festival of this scope at the statewide level is rather serious business requiring a substantial amount of capital, footwork and other resources. My first goal is to organize a local wings & beer festival in my hometown. While I know all there is to know about wings, I have recruited a friend of mine who is a certified Sommelier and mixologist in Miami to provide consulting on the alcohol side of the planning phase. As of today, planning is on hold while i concentrate on WIO but I would like to make substantial progress on this project during the winter months. My goal is 2-3 years for the local festival and 6-8 years for the statewide festival.
    Awesome. 10-11 years Nationwide? chickenfest?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by EXCellR8 View Post

    I have actually been looking into android stuff as well and, although I know virtually nothing about it yet, I am willing to learn. Like most things though it's just a time issue and not money necessarily. And now that I am not officially employed I have a little time to fuck around with some stuff. There's a TON of money to be made in mobile apps and personally I think android is a great platform to work with. People are fucking making bank with this stuff and no matter how many apps are released the market remains vacant for new devs.
    It's getting crowded but I still think there's room. I'll get my feet wet with the first one and see how it goes. Getting noticed is going to be the hard part. Android can be a pain in the ass as well because there's so many different devices. I've encountered a lot of bugs on my phone running the app the my dev doesn't experience on his. We'll have to move quick with updates as feedback comes in

    Quote Originally Posted by Name View Post
    Side jobs of 4x4 fabrication and repair has been ramping up lately. Started as just me fixing and building shit. Others wanted what i made. Now i have made 4 or 5 of the items for other people. Slowly aquiring more tools to speed up the process. Finally got a plasma cutter so looking forward to quicker turn around and less labor. Most of my stuff is jeep related but i have been branching out to other things.

    seems to be moving along well. If the shit hits the fan then im not out much because i can use the tools anyways.
    Any pics of some of the things you fabricate?

  7. #7
    Intel & VTEC Inside EXCellR8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Nowhere NH
    Posts
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    ...I'll get my feet wet with the first one and see how it goes. Getting noticed is going to be the hard part
    not really... just crank out a really solid app or two and you are sure to pull in some business. you could always make a free app that's pretty legit, gain some following, and then charge $0.99 for your next project. if your first was decent enough and a ton of people download it, they will most likely purchase another because they know you make good shit.
    '95 Civic Sedan + '08 Fit Sport

  8. #8
    Just got licensed to practice engineering so me and a few others are starting a new consulting business by the end of this month in parallel to current employment with a projection to be self-sufficient within 1 year having secured a client base to sustain independent growth.
    Formerly known as HukedUp91Accord

  9. #9

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post

    Any pics of some of the things you fabricate?
    Sure.

    On this truck the bumper, and the roll cage.


    Also Hydrolic assisted steering. Dissasseble and drill and tap steering box, etc



    Another part


    Rock sliders





    Tube fenders
    The artist formerly known as boosted_sileighty

  11. #11
    I suck dick for coke..sometimes for free.

  12. #12
    Intel & VTEC Inside EXCellR8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Nowhere NH
    Posts
    924
    we know.
    '95 Civic Sedan + '08 Fit Sport

  13. #13
    I'm "self-employed", even though I actually work for a five person investment research company. I want to learn more about how to pay as little tax as possible. Anyone have any advice?

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Name View Post
    Sure.
    Cool man. Thanks for sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by nhlfan View Post
    I'm "self-employed", even though I actually work for a five person investment research company. I want to learn more about how to pay as little tax as possible. Anyone have any advice?
    Move overseas? Make less money?

    There's two easy ones

  15. #15
    I charge people in my neighorhood rediculous prices for IT stuff. Simple under the table stuff like reimaging HDDs, virus removal, and optimization. Helped a guy build a small domain for his home-business.

    I'm like a slightly less sleazy Geek Squad.

    Nothing official. Maybe a couple hundred dollars a month. Pays for golf though.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by nhlfan View Post
    I'm "self-employed", even though I actually work for a five person investment research company. I want to learn more about how to pay as little tax as possible. Anyone have any advice?
    What? Are you moving away from your socialist ideals???

  17. #17
    GunSlingerTequilaDrinker
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    981
    im deciding on getting my 07 FFL.

    apparently i make some really good ammo.
    "bro, if there's one thing ill make sure of, is that im the commander and chief in the bedroom" -Steven Siegler

    zedron: hate u dan
    zedron: HA, Fuck you Dan

    zedron: Why I am strapped wherever I go. I had a Mexican lawn guy pull a machete on me at a gas station. He got shot in the leg.

  18. #18
    Where is this wing joint P-Spec?

  19. #19

  20. #20
    spec let me buy your business model off you. i'll just open a chain down here, should do good imo

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •