Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Jury awards Apple $1.049 billion in Samsung patent dispute ruling (updated)

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/24/32...amages-verdict

Discuss the mild ass raping that has occurred.
    Car: 1985 Firebird (1/4 Best: 12.5 @ 109)
    Gamer Tags:
    Steam: ducKy or calducky@hotmail.com
    EA BF3: ducKstaz
    Ps3: cmm2k5

I guess now we will start seeing everyone else do triangular phones. Or circular. Rectangles are patented by Apple.

"You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." -Bullet Tooth Tony

Thats Mr. Cage to you
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    ^youre kidding right?
    one of the patent infringements was square glass with rounded corners. . so yea

Yes and my reply was to the point that this case was not about the shape of the phone. Yes once it came to court the gloves came off and all leverages were used, trivial patents and all. The point is this was about flagrant copying. Fuck Samsung. You don't have to be a patent lawyer to see that Samsung simply counterfeited apples products. You can hate apple all you want but you have to call it what it is. This is not about innovation. Stealing is not innovation. This is about being a ripoff artist. That's just the way I see it.

Thats Mr. Cage to you
    Yes and my reply was to the point that this case was not about the shape of the phone. Yes once it came to court the gloves came off and all leverages were used, trivial patents and all. The point is this was about flagrant copying. Fuck Samsung. You don't have to be a patent lawyer to see that Samsung simply counterfeited apples products. You can hate apple all you want but you have to call it what it is. This is not about innovation. Stealing is not innovation. This is about being a ripoff artist. That's just the way I see it.
    this is not an undoing of Samsung. . . . the only only patent war apple has won was here in the us. . . they didnt have so much luck in Pal regions

I dont really get what Samsung copied. I mean, all these god damn smartphones look nearly identical anyways. They are all plain as shit, they are all rectangles, they all have the same god damn desktops, the same looking buttons etc etc. Look at the galaxy S. That looks almost identical to some droids. In fact, it looks exactly identical to my razor just with somewhat rounded edges.

Also - How does a jury come up with a verdict on that many products when they are tasked with reviewing theoretical financial damages caused by "700 Patent specific questions" on each device? How the hell would they even read that much data in that amount of time?

Thats Mr. Cage to you
    Quote Originally Posted by ISPKI View Post
    I dont really get what Samsung copied. I mean, all these god damn smartphones look nearly identical anyways. They are all plain as shit, they are all rectangles, they all have the same god damn desktops, the same looking buttons etc etc. Look at the galaxy S. That looks almost identical to some droids. In fact, it looks exactly identical to my razor just with somewhat rounded edges.

Also - How does a jury come up with a verdict on that many products when they are tasked with reviewing theoretical financial damages caused by "700 Patent specific questions" on each device? How the hell would they even read that much data in that amount of time?
    The jury even found Samsung guilty of infringing on products that wasnt even named in the law suit lmao. . the original number awarded to Apple WAS over 2 billion. . . but when objected by Samsung, the jury had to go back into deliberation to adjust the amount awarded ahaha. . dumb-asses

I bet 3/4s of that jury were iTards anyway

Quote Originally Posted by ISPKI View Post

Yeah I agree, samsung didn't copy anything. Just look at this picture.

iphone-samsung.jpg

I mean, yeah, if we were to try to play a game called "count the similarities", we would perhaps be here all day, but very clearly, this phone is an original idea, I mean just look at the home button, IT'S SQUARE! Very clearly, Samsung is not a thief, Samsung is a champion of INNOVATION! and ought to be exonerated from this unfair verdict. It's quite obvious that while Samsung was working on this groundbreaking design, that they never even took a look at the iphone, it's shape, it's dimensions, it's design layout, the size and shape and placement of it's glass, the placement and function of the home button, the concept of a grid of apps and their respective funtions, the basic look feel and operation of the ENTIRE thing. This is nothing but a fantasy dreamed up by the zombie i-fans brainwashed by the great mind control machine called Apple.

Ironically enough, I got the 4s the day before the verdict. ahaha
    a.k.a. mjr4189

Thats Mr. Cage to you
    Yeah I agree, samsung didn't copy anything. Just look at this picture.

iphone-samsung.jpg

I mean, yeah, if we were to try to play a game called "count the similarities", we would perhaps be here all day, but very clearly, this phone is an original idea, I mean just look at the home button, IT'S SQUARE! Very clearly, Samsung is not a thief, Samsung is a champion of INNOVATION! and ought to be exonerated from this unfair verdict. It's quite obvious that while Samsung was working on this groundbreaking design, that they never even took a look at the iphone, it's shape, it's dimensions, it's design layout, the size and shape and placement of it's glass, the placement and function of the home button, the concept of a grid of apps and their respective funtions, the basic look feel and operation of the ENTIRE thing. This is nothing but a fantasy dreamed up by the zombie i-fans brainwashed by the great mind control machine called Apple.
    slide to un-lock was not invented by Apple

Apple icons were stolen from Windows mobile CS

Bouncing Icons. . . stolen from Windows mobile CS

Grid Icon Layout???? Stolen from MS

Home Buton???? Seriously. . looks nothing like Apples phone. . one round. .one square

Apple wins a lawsuit that will only jack up the prices for these different technologies . .ultimately. .the money lost will be money paid by the consumer.

but yea, lets all clap and cheer for Apple in their great victory, lets not be mad about our loss. . and lets ignore the fact Apple now owns patents to phone features that are 100% logical common sense and wonder were all the competing products are in 2 years from now

GunSlingerTequilaDrinker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post

Home Buton???? Seriously. . looks nothing like Apples phone. . one round. .one square

Apple wins a lawsuit that will only jack up the prices for these different technologies . .ultimately. .the money lost will be money paid by the consumer.

but yea, lets all clap and cheer for Apple in their great victory, lets not be mad about our loss. . and lets ignore the fact Apple now owns patents to phone features that are 100% logical common sense and wonder were all the competing products are in 2 years from now
    this pretty much, i mean ive used touch screen tech when sony was pumping it pre iphone 1... i mean it was more stylus than touch screen, but i could def type and make calls with just a finger

p800a.jpg

touchscreen grid format, ya it had it

rmrbank_for_sony_ericsson_p800_900_910-46699.jpg
    "bro, if there's one thing ill make sure of, is that im the commander and chief in the bedroom" -Steven Siegler

zedron: hate u dan
    zedron: HA, Fuck you Dan

zedron: Why I am strapped wherever I go. I had a Mexican lawn guy pull a machete on me at a gas station. He got shot in the leg.

And what’s your point? That apple infringed, borrowed, stole or paid for certain features? If we break down every single feature and program script, we will certainly see bits and parts that were designed by other companies, no doubt. I've said before, Apple is as guilty as anyone for using others ideas. Maybe Apple paid to use some of these features, maybe they got sued for others, maybe they stole others still, Apple is no saint, they have done what everybody else has done. I believe they’re being sued right now by Motorola, and if they are in the wrong they deserve to pay the price.
    Motorola has a truckload of patents, Nokia has patented the fuck out of the cell phone, and incidentally, they sued apple for about a dozen of them a year ago, of which apple pays a licensing fee now to use. This happens all the time. This is not what this is all about though, at all. Look at the picture, that’s what this is all about. There’s patent disputes and then there’s the outright blatant copying of an entire product. Apple didn’t sue Samsung because they infringed on the “curved rectangle” lol, or the bounce back feature. They sued because they stole the whole freakin thing, and now that it goes to court, they WILL drag out every trivial patent imaginable, as will the other side. You can’t go back and say “oh, apple didn’t design the doo-hickey that scrolls therefore Samsung didn't clone the iphone” it’s about the big picture.
    All the companies have screwed each other, but Samsung simply went too far. You know I just don’t get the mindset. Here you have an American company that came out of it’s beleaguered defeated state, and waged everything it had on a concept that was a complete departure from the norm, and ended up making BANK. Then you have some shady reverse engineering Korean company that comes along and literally steals the entire thing, and Americans back the thief. It absolutely astounds me. Yes yes, you will tell me what a wonderful company Samsung is, and how they’re bigger than cell phones, but any way you spin it, they are and always have been copycat thiefs.

samsung-phones-before-and-after-iphones.jpg
    http://todayilearned.co.uk/wp-conten...r-iphones.jpeg (clearer pic)

I show this not for its intended purpose, which is ridiculously true enough, but for the even more telling truth. Look at those phones that Samsung was selling before the Iphone, what do you see? Blackberry, treo, htc, that’s all I see in that picture. Who were the big players in the smart phone industry before apple? Blackberry, who was on top, palm’s Treo was breaking ground, as was HTC. These products were different enough from each other to be innovative, yet not identical copies. Who came along and copied the whole bunch? Samsung, the great defender of innovation. Ever since I have been buying cell phones since the motorala razor, samsung has been stealing, one company has always come along with a new idea, and Samsung has always been the company to swoop in and steal it.
    Yes I will clap and cheer for Apple’s great victory, and I’ll climb up on a perch to do it. Like I said before, Fuck Samsung. They deserve to pay every cent, and then some. It’s about time.

As for the consumer paying the price, what’s your point then, that we should allow stealing if it means it’s cheaper for consumers? Are you sure you want to mess with that? The United States is the most innovative country in the world, there are no close seconds, and the patent system has a lot to do with it. You don’t like the patent system? You think patents are for smartphones? Should we revamp the whole system when it suits us all for one small sector? Patents are used in every aspect of your life. Medicine, pharmaceuticals, engineering, construction, design, electronics, automotive, programming, the list is infinite. It’s everywhere. In the free market, individuals and corporations come up with an innovative idea, and then they patent the fuck out of it. It is this security that allows them to seek out millions in investment money to go ahead and bring it to market. It is the same patent system that forces competing companies to work around these patents and create a better version. This is innovation. Not outright stealing. This verdict is a win for consumers on a level more significant than the price of cell phones.
    Last edited by Harry; 08-26-2012 at 07:14 PM.

isn't point of touchscreens to remove physical buttons from the front area? all freaking phones have been a copy of other phones, the screens were above, the buttons below. they changed colors and call it a night. i bet apple just got pissed because the S3 was better than what they will launch with the iphone 5.

i think Palms were the pioneers of the smartphone desktops anyway, and they were also touchscreens.

"You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." -Bullet Tooth Tony

Thats Mr. Cage to you
    And what’s your point? That apple infringed, borrowed, stole or paid for certain features? If we break down every single feature and program script, we will certainly see bits and parts that were designed by other companies, no doubt. I've said before, Apple is as guilty as anyone for using others ideas. Maybe Apple paid to use some of these features, maybe they got sued for others, maybe they stole others still, Apple is no saint, they have done what everybody else has done. I believe they’re being sued right now by Motorola, and if they are in the wrong they deserve to pay the price.
    Motorola has a truckload of patents, Nokia has patented the fuck out of the cell phone, and incidentally, they sued apple for about a dozen of them a year ago, of which apple pays a licensing fee now to use. This happens all the time. This is not what this is all about though, at all. Look at the picture, that’s what this is all about. There’s patent disputes and then there’s the outright blatant copying of an entire product. Apple didn’t sue Samsung because they infringed on the “curved rectangle” lol, or the bounce back feature. They sued because they stole the whole freakin thing, and now that it goes to court, they WILL drag out every trivial patent imaginable, as will the other side. You can’t go back and say “oh, apple didn’t design the doo-hickey that scrolls therefore Samsung didn't clone the iphone” it’s about the big picture.
    All the companies have screwed each other, but Samsung simply went too far. You know I just don’t get the mindset. Here you have an American company that came out of it’s beleaguered defeated state, and waged everything it had on a concept that was a complete departure from the norm, and ended up making BANK. Then you have some shady reverse engineering Korean company that comes along and literally steals the entire thing, and Americans back the thief. It absolutely astounds me. Yes yes, you will tell me what a wonderful company Samsung is, and how they’re bigger than cell phones, but any way you spin it, they are and always have been copycat thiefs.

samsung-phones-before-and-after-iphones.jpg
    http://todayilearned.co.uk/wp-conten...r-iphones.jpeg (clearer pic)

I show this not for its intended purpose, which is ridiculously true enough, but for the even more telling truth. Look at those phones that Samsung was selling before the Iphone, what do you see? Blackberry, treo, htc, that’s all I see in that picture. Who were the big players in the smart phone industry before apple? Blackberry, who was on top, palm’s Treo was breaking ground, as was HTC. These products were different enough from each other to be innovative, yet not identical copies. Who came along and copied the whole bunch? Samsung, the great defender of innovation. Ever since I have been buying cell phones since the motorala razor, samsung has been stealing, one company has always come along with a new idea, and Samsung has always been the company to swoop in and steal it.
    Yes I will clap and cheer for Apple’s great victory, and I’ll climb up on a perch to do it. Like I said before, Fuck Samsung. They deserve to pay every cent, and then some. It’s about time.

As for the consumer paying the price, what’s your point then, that we should allow stealing if it means it’s cheaper for consumers? Are you sure you want to mess with that? The United States is the most innovative country in the world, there are no close seconds, and the patent system has a lot to do with it. You don’t like the patent system? You think patents are for smartphones? Should we revamp the whole system when it suits us all for one small sector? Patents are used in every aspect of your life. Medicine, pharmaceuticals, engineering, construction, design, electronics, automotive, programming, the list is infinite. It’s everywhere. In the free market, individuals and corporations come up with an innovative idea, and then they patent the fuck out of it. It is this security that allows them to seek out millions in investment money to go ahead and bring it to market. It is the same patent system that forces competing companies to work around these patents and create a better version. This is innovation. Not outright stealing. This verdict is a win for consumers on a level more significant than the price of cell phones.
    I love you harry

but the one very big point you are missing is that you are hating on Samsung for stealing technology. . when apple got away with stealing technology and patenting them.

Companies steal ideas from each other. . everyone knows that. . and im fine with it. Take an idea, and make it better. . that gives us SELECTION among a slew of different products. Ill buy a Samsung phone if they can take whats essentially an iPhone and make it better. Thats what a competitive market is.

But its like. . saying all tires are round. Firestone gets the patent on round tires. . so now every other company on the market will have to make. . ummm. . oval or octagon tires that ride like shit now

I love you harry

but the one very big point you are missing is that you are hating on Samsung for stealing technology. . when apple got away with stealing technology and patenting them.

Companies steal ideas from each other. . everyone knows that. . and im fine with it. Take an idea, and make it better. . that gives us SELECTION among a slew of different products. Ill buy a Samsung phone if they can take whats essentially an iPhone and make it better. Thats what a competitive market is.

But its like. . saying all tires are round. Firestone gets the patent on round tires. . so now every other company on the market will have to make. . ummm. . oval or octagon tires that ride like shit now
    There has to be a line that's drawn. You can't just let other companies take your ideas because there has to be an incentive for that company to come up with that original idea. You take away that, and we'll still be using blackberrys.

GunSlingerTequilaDrinker
    Quote Originally Posted by Siegler View Post
    There has to be a line that's drawn. You can't just let other companies take your ideas because there has to be an incentive for that company to come up with that original idea. You take away that, and we'll still be using blackberrys.
    i sometimes miss my blackberry.... i really miss my nokia 3310
    "bro, if there's one thing ill make sure of, is that im the commander and chief in the bedroom" -Steven Siegler

zedron: hate u dan
    zedron: HA, Fuck you Dan

zedron: Why I am strapped wherever I go. I had a Mexican lawn guy pull a machete on me at a gas station. He got shot in the leg.

I love you harry

The difference is you are refering to general use unpatentable items, like many other things we use daily. It's like saying you shouldn't be able to trademark Dora the explorer because it's like sears trademarking Santa Clause.
    I'm not hating on samsung for stealing technology, not at all. I'm hating on Samsung for ripping off a product down to the magnitude that they do, to completely replicate someone else's successful product with no reservation or a hint of shame. I give no respect to that.

Stealing technology is one thing. There are countless patented technologies in a smartphone. Some have been ripped off. I get that. I hate on Samsung, and particularly Samsung, because this has historically been their philosophy, to simply wait until someone makes a successful product and simply copy it.

People can downplay it which ever way they want, curved rectangle glass and all, but I know what I see, a class A ripoff. We're not talking a likeness here, this is a carbon copy. It's a virtual mirror image. So yeah. Fuck Samsung.
    Last edited by Harry; 08-26-2012 at 11:59 PM.

I usually have no problem with joining in an Apple bashing circlejerk, but I tend to side with Harry.

Samsung BLATANTLY ripped off Apple and the iPhone.

And no, Apple isn't tying to claim the patent for rectangles. I don't see them suing LG, Motorola, HTC, or anyone else with square-ish touchscreen phones.

Uh companies make EXACT replicas of the iphone and sell them on ebay for $100.. EXACT REPLICAS.

also did samsung make the OS for this phone? if so then i feel the reason they sued is because they dont have a chance going up against google/android.

also, i still use a blackberry <--- which has been running really shitty and i think its a chinese replica.

maybe apple should sue china.
    Last edited by Reaper; 08-27-2012 at 07:53 AM.
    AKA Enigma